diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Boy 3.0 install

Ptom

I've installed about a dozen Fronius inverters of various sizes, when I was a dealer/installer, this was my first Sunny Boy. Not quite as intuitive as the Fronius, I actually had to read the instructions that came with it! This is in my crane yard building, and replaces the 2 KW Fronius that seemingly suffered a terminal breakdown, but only after 16 years of service, and more to the point, only after I swapped the polarity mistakenly....long story, let's move on! So, I got it all set to go,, flipped the switches, and nothing happened, got the book out again and then I saw the hidden (for shipping) wire loom that connects the power unit to the control unit, it took all of another 45 seconds to pull it out and plug it in, and then I fired it up again. It went thru it's start up ritual, and now once again my crane yard is grid tied. I went about a week without, and it was driving me crazy, luckily it was quite cloudy so no big loss, but now I have that warm fuzzy feeling again. I'm all grid tied at home also, wind, solar, AND hydro. I would have went with another Fronius but they were out of stock and I couldn't wait, and my Sunny/Windy Boy wind turbine grid tie inverter has performed great so I went Sunny Boy. Just a 2 KW array, but with no loads to speak of 9 months out of the year, I build up enough KWH credits to run the electric boiler for free during the heating season. The radiant floor slab is thermostated at 50 degrees, plenty warm enough.

I like pole mounts, and make my own, having a crane helps as all the work is done on the ground. Plus they run cooler and put out more power, and I don't have to put holes in my roof!

Attachments

• rsz_img_20160516_144540516_hdr.jpg
    rsz_img_20160516_144540516_hdr.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 9
Back