diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Boy SPS function, which rapid shutdown to use?

old_haidouk

Is there a rapid shutdown that still allows to use the SPS with a Sunny Boy? The SPS is the ability to generate up to a 2000w of power to an outlet when the grid is down and the sun is shinning.

I have a SMA SB6.0-1 SP-US-41 with Tigo TS4-R-F. Installed in 2020 was initially told SPS was not possible due to rapid shutdown requirements. Emailed SMA recently and got this reply.

"You can use the SPS in conjunction with the TS4-R-F, to do this you need to make sure of two things: Inverter needs to be on its latest firmware Inverter needs to be set to "Rapid Shutdown Mode: Sunspec' with "Secure Power Supply On" The SPS will work but only for the rest of the day that is activated, if the outage lasts more than 1 day it will not work for the next day, this is due to the TS4 modules design."

Posting this everywhere relevant because getting this operational is a huge benefit and getting good information on it has been a headache.

I thought Secure Power Supply was supposed to work as intended with JMS-F, just not with Tigo (unless you use a 9V battery or two to wake it up.)
And there may be an issue with Sunny Boy discharging its caps if for some reason Tigo doesn't RSD.

I have two inverters: SMA SB7.7-1SP-US40 and SMA SB6.0-1SP-US40. TIGO TS-4-O modules are installed with each solar panel to meet NEC 2017 requirements for "Rapid Shutdown."

SPS works perfectly for me in both inverters. However, TIGO TS-4-O modules are not configured to operate via inverters. I have a TIGO CCA with a TIGO wireless gateway connected via a UPS. It provides an uninterrupted power supply to all TIGO components in case of grid power failure. So, the entire "Rapid Shutdown" setup is provided purely by TIGO equipment and a mushroom "Kill Switch" wired to TIGO directly for the manual rapid shutdown activation.

Such setup allows activation of SPS at any time when the sun is shining and switching back to the grid-tied mode when the utility power is restored.

Back