diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island easy shutdown?

Ai4px

I read the manual today and saw that the DIGIN pin cannot be reassigned to another function on my 6048 Sunny Island. DIGIN is used to signal that the transfer switch is in GEN or GRID position. The two relay outputs can be made to do all sorts of things. Does anyone have any ideas for a way to remotely shutdown the sunny island with a single switch input? I'm thinking of making the BMS trigger the SI to shut down. Another idea I've had is to put some sort of solenoid on the breaker on the face of the unit... a hari-kari solenoid if you will. Suggestions? I'm just brainstorming.

For what purpose do you want to shut it down? If you explain what you're trying to do with more detail, maybe we can come up with something.

For what purpose do you want to shut it down? If you explain what you're trying to do with more detail, maybe we can come up with something.
I’m fighting with chargery DCC contactor. About to spend big money on 3 gigavacs. I figured I’d give it once last hurrah before spending $300 on contractors. If only there was a way for BMS to kill my inverters!!

I’m fighting with chargery DCC contactor. About to spend big money on 3 gigavacs. I figured I’d give it once last hurrah before spending $300 on contractors. If only there was a way for BMS to kill my inverters!!
I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do.

Why are you trying to shut down the Sunny Island? Is this a conditional shutdown based on low battery voltage or do you have some other function you're trying to implement?

I may have found my own solution. Power door lock actuator for a car. $6/ea on eBay. Have the BMS drive them to extend when it wants to kill the inverters. A little creativity with a 3D printer and I can make a bracket to mount one in such a way that it can tug the breaker open. Breaker is snap action after all.
I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do.

Why are you trying to shut down the Sunny Island? Is this a conditional shutdown based on low battery voltage or do you have some other function you're trying to implement?
yes. In the same conditions that a bms would shut down a contactor I want to shut down the sunny island. One cell too high? Pack too low? Pack too high? Shut down sunny island.

yes. In the same conditions that a bms would shut down a contactor I want to shut down the sunny island. One cell too high? Pack too low? Pack too high? Shut down sunny island.
Ok, the way you asked, it sounded like you were trying to do something strange.

What you're trying to do is one of the primary functions of a bms and the only proper way is to install a high amperage DC contactor like a Gigavac or Kilovac.
They pop up on ebay quite frequently for around $80 to $100 with 48vdc coils.

One other thing you can do is to set the load shedding voltage for the Sunny Island. This will disconnect all your loads if the battery voltage reaches your setpoint.

Back