diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island start-up failure

Boy Named Sue

Tring to start-up my Sunny Island(s) and failing.

Here's what I have two SI6048-US (E-bay, from DC Solar) with 3 280ah DIY batteries w/Overkill BMS's. Each battery is connected to the inverters via 125amp double pole breaker to DIY buss bars, negative through Victron shunt and positives through class T fuse (Pic taken before battery connection).

Using a resistor, I per-charged the capacitors of the SI's. Turn on the breaker positive (I separated the breaker handle on one double pole breaker). Checked voltage at buss bars and each SI, read 53.3v same as BMS app and multimeter with correct polarity. Flipped the DC breaker on the SI to the on position and nothing. BMS was in short circuit protection mode. At that point I removed the covers and disconnected all wiring to the inverters except the battery cables. Retried and nothing, no BMS protection was active but still nothing. Checked with the mm and no voltage to the inverter, I blew the class t fusses. Both fuses have been replaced but I have not tried to power the system up.

Now I need HELP. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_152836935.jpg
    IMG_20220710_152836935.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 23
@Hedges is the SMA Guru but...
I have to ask, you got these off of eBay but have you seen them powered on before?
Did the seller post pictures of them powered on?
My first though based on your description is that the Mosfets are shorted. I would not try to power it back up unless you can disconnect the capacitor bank once it's discharged and directly check the DC input side of the Inverter board to see if it registers as a dead short with an Ohm meter with NO power attached.

Last edited:
If you blew all the class t fuses I wonder if you welded all the BMSs closed.
The BMSs should trip in microseconds and the class-t fuses should blow in milliseconds.
I would test the BMSs to see if you can administratively disable the discharge paths.

The BMSs should trip in microseconds and the class-t fuses should blow in milliseconds.
I would test the BMSs to see if you can administratively disable the discharge paths.
Is he saying the Battery is no longer working after he reset it?

I believe the SI capacitors are after the breakers (another forum member claimed otherwise.)
So I think you need to close all the breakers, then apply precharge, then fully connect.
SI consumes 4W when not inverting, so you might choose a precharge resistor (or length of wire) appropriately.

One member did blow class T fuses and well external BMS relay with the SI capacitor charge surge.

It should power up fine with four car batteries in series. It is just these newfangled lithium batteries that keep having problems. But a suitable precharge circuit ought to make it work.

To precharge my si inverter I held the resistor in place across my main power breaker for several seconds until it went into stanby mode. Then before removing the resistor from the main breaker I would engage the main breaker. If the op is removing the resistor before engaging the main breaker the capacitors will start to discharge and cause the surge when the main is closed. This is my experience anyways. Hope this helps.

The purpose of the DC capacitors on inverter input are for high frequency PWM filtering. It would diminish their effectiveness to put them before the internal breaker with the extra wiring and breaker inductance. The input capacitors need to be close to, and minimum resistance/circuit inductance to the switching MOSFET's.

I do not know if the SMA internal breaker is an actual breaker or just a switch. A breaker typically has a short circuit current trip mechanism that is a series connected magnetic solenoid coil that adds inductance (and some resistance) to breaker.

High current DC breakers add a significant series resistance to battery cable path. Typically, 3 to 5 milliohms.

Try leaving the internal breaker/switch on when pre-charging inverter capacitors. If switch is before capacitors, which is really the only logical configuration, then having inverter switch open will not be allowing any pre-charging of internal capacitors. Then your BMS trips for high surge current.

Last edited:
I guess your dad "knew you'd have to get tough or die"?

What size were the Class T fuses?

Unfortunately, due to the way the Sunny Island manual is written, it gives users the idea that the breaker on the front panel is an ON/OFF switch that cuts power to the Sunny Island. It does not. SMA really goofed with the way they wrote the manual in that regard.

Leave the Breaker in the OFF position when you precharge. When precharge cycle is over, engage main battery contactor, then turn the breaker on starting with the slave first (if present) 3 second pause, then the master.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you try connecting the Sunny Island directly to your battery terminals and bypass the BMS, if it starts normally, then it's your BMS.

My guess is that your BMS is the problem.

I believe breaker on front panel does cut power to Sunny Island (and therefore must be closed during precharge OP needs to do.)
Why do you think otherwise?

I tried to measure capacitor value. With breaker open, no significant capacitor. With breaker closed, over-range for my meter.

Sorry for my delay, family matters. I'll see if I can answer some of these questions/concerns. Thanks for all the quick replies.

@Hedges is the SMA Guru but...
I have to ask, you got these off of eBay but have you seen them powered on before?
Did the seller post pictures of them powered on?
My first though based on your description is that the Mosfets are shorted. I would not try to power it back up unless you can disconnect the capacitor bank once it's discharged and directly check the DC input side of the Inverter board to see if it registers as a dead short with an Ohm meter with NO power attached.
No, I did not see them powered up. purchased from two different sellers. I don't think I have that bad of luck, two bad units from different sellers. I will need to research so before trying your suggested test. Thank you.

I was able to turn charge and discharged off within the app. after turning off SI breaker. All BMS's seem to be functioning correctly.

Is he saying the Battery is no longer working after he reset it?
Batteries/BMS's seem to be fine.

I believe the SI capacitors are after the breakers (another forum member claimed otherwise.)
So I think you need to close all the breakers, then apply precharge, then fully connect.
SI consumes 4W when not inverting, so you might choose a precharge resistor (or length of wire) appropriately.

One member did blow class T fuses and well external BMS relay with the SI capacitor charge surge.

It should power up fine with four car batteries in series. It is just these newfangled lithium batteries that keep having problems. But a suitable precharge circuit ought to make it work.
First try; I used a 100w 50ohm resistor and connected it from battery positive to positive bus bar (before class t fuse). Left in place for about a minute, removed it and with-in a few seconds turned on one battery breaker and then the SI breaker.

Second try; same as first but used turn on all three battery breakers. I believe this is when I blew the fuses.

At this time, I don't have any lead batteries to try. I would have to take them out my in-law's RVs.
To precharge my si inverter I held the resistor in place across my main power breaker for several seconds until it went into stanby mode. Then before removing the resistor from the main breaker I would engage the main breaker. If the op is removing the resistor before engaging the main breaker the capacitors will start to discharge and cause the surge when the main is closed. This is my experience anyways. Hope this helps.
Are you referring to the main breaker of the SI or the battery breaker?
The purpose of the DC capacitors on inverter input are for high frequency PWM filtering. It would diminish their effectiveness to put them before the internal breaker with the extra wiring and breaker inductance. The input capacitors need to be close to, and minimum resistance/circuit inductance to the switching MOSFET's.

I do not know if the SMA internal breaker is an actual breaker or just a switch. A breaker typically has a short circuit current trip mechanism that is a series connected magnetic solenoid coil that adds inductance (and some resistance) to breaker.

High current DC breakers add a significant series resistance to battery cable path. Typically, 3 to 5 milliohms.

Try leaving the internal breaker/switch on when pre-charging inverter capacitors. If switch is before capacitors, which is really the only logical configuration, then having inverter switch open will not be allowing any pre-charging of internal capacitors. Then your BMS trips for high surge current.
According the SMA's webinar for the SI the DC breaker on the front is an ON/OFF switch for the DC side but voltage can still be present in certain locations.

Leaving the breaker/switch on seems like a logical step but there seems to be some debate on this subject.

I guess your dad "knew you'd have to get tough or die"?

What size were the Class T fuses?
Good catch, I generally have to explain my screen name.

300amp class t fuses. The blew once I had tried the SI with all three batteries on.

Unfortunately, due to the way the Sunny Island manual is written, it gives users the idea that the breaker on the front panel is an ON/OFF switch that cuts power to the Sunny Island. It does not. SMA really goofed with the way they wrote the manual in that regard.

Leave the Breaker in the OFF position when you precharge. When precharge cycle is over, engage main battery contactor, then turn the breaker on starting with the slave first (if present) 3 second pause, then the master.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you try connecting the Sunny Island directly to your battery terminals and bypass the BMS, if it starts normally, then it's your BMS.

My guess is that your BMS is the problem.
Yes, as stated above the SI DC breaker/switch is a little confusing. On page 68 of the manual, it states the following:

7.2 DC Circuit Breaker
The DC circuit breaker is used to switch on/off as well as to disconnect the Sunny Island on the DC
side (see Section 9 "Switching On and Off", page 75).

But as I stated above the webinar states it should be treated as a DC disconnect as voltage can still be present.

The start-up procedure you describe is what I was trying.

Didn't think about by passing the BMS. As no charging is being done what are the potential risk? Nothing to limit current as it stands the BMS's limit each bank to 100amps.

What do you think is up with the BMSs?

I believe breaker on front panel does cut power to Sunny Island (and therefore must be closed during precharge OP needs to do.)
Why do you think otherwise?

I tried to measure capacitor value. With breaker open, no significant capacitor. With breaker closed, over-range for my meter.
Pretty much the definitive answer. Internal switch OFF, no internal capacitor pre-charging will happen.

As I stated above debate on the subject. SMA manual page 68:
7.2 DC Circuit Breaker
The DC circuit breaker is used to switch on/off as well as to disconnect the Sunny Island on the DC
side (see Section 9 "Switching On and Off", page 75).

Webinar states voltage can still be present in places. So, is there an electrical path around the breaker/switch to the capacitor bank? This seems to be the 64 dollar question. Does someone want to tear apart their SI to fine out?

Once again thanks for the replies.

I was able to turn charge and discharged off within the app. after turning off SI breaker. All BMS's seem to be functioning correctly.
How did you verify the bms function?
Was there voltage between the bms system side negative and battery positive when the discharge path was administratively opened?
What is the BMS short circuit time delay?
Could you please post the details of the class t fuse so that we can look at its trip curve?
What awg wire is the class t fuse protecting?
Did all of the class-t fuses blow?
Did any or all of the BMSs discharge path open on short circuit protection?

Last edited:
What do you think is up with the BMSs?

I think the same cheap Chinese piece of junk BMS is sold under about two dozen brand names and it is the problem.

Bypass it, hook the inverters directly to the battery. Be sure to precharge before you hook up both pos and neg terminals and make sure the DC breaker on the SI's is off when you connect. If the inverters start normally, it is the BMS as I suspect.

Get a Batrium, REC, or an Orion and use an external contactor.

You need to disconnect battery from inverter (somewhere, whether cable, switch, BMS shut off). Close breakers on all Sunny Island. Use a precharge resistor to apply battery voltage to Sunny Island (resistor bypassing unbolted cable, switch, or BMS.) With a DMM you can watch voltage on SI input gradually rise. After voltage tapers off near battery voltage, complete the circuit (bolt cable, close switch, or enable BMS.)

"First try; I used a 100w 50ohm resistor and connected it from battery positive to positive bus bar (before class t fuse). Left in place for about a minute, removed it and with-in a few seconds turned on one battery breaker and then the SI breaker.

Second try; same as first but used turn on all three battery breakers. I believe this is when I blew the fuses."

Doing a precharge with Sunny Island breaker off does nothing, because capacitors not connected to cables.
Closing breaker results in inrush current charging caps. That can trip BMS or blow fuse.

You have a battery breaker? Just bypass one of those with resistor and momentary switch. Turn on SI breaker, hold momentary switch until voltage tapers up to fully precharged, turn on battery breaker, release momentary switch.

By the way, 4W standby draw at 50V is 0.08A, with 50 ohm resistor 4V drop. If you had 4x SI like me, 16V drop. 50 ohm should do a decent precharge for single inverter but I would use lower resistance. Maybe a length of wire, out and back through Romex or data cable. If 1 ohm, 50A briefly. Or a resistor of 1 to 10 ohms. Either way, it needs to withstand the impulse of energy precharging, and needs to be bypassed before starting inverter.

"Webinar states voltage can still be present in places. So, is there an electrical path around the breaker/switch to the capacitor bank?"

Turning off the breaker disconnects battery terminals from capacitors and everything else. Open circuit. Of course, voltage is still present on PC boards inside the inverter, and available terminals can supply that power (through PTC fuses) to drive external relays, so wires coming out could be at 50V. Until the capacitors discharge there is power to circuits and modules, so nothing should plugged/unplugged inside and don't mess around where you could short something.

Of course AC input from grid can also be present. If multiple SI in the system, AC output (backfed) can still be present. Confirm no voltage before working on anything.

“Are you referring to the main breaker of the SI or the battery breaker?”

When I got my first set of EG4 waterproof batteries everything shut down and they went into protect mode as soon as I turned on the breaker on the front of my Sunny Island. To remedy this I turned of my disconnect breaker from the batteries to the inverter. I left the SI front breaker on. Once the batteries came out of protect mode and I verified I had power at the disconnect terminals. I left the disconnect breaker off and jumped the terminals with the resistor. The SI powered up slowly and went into standby mode. At this time I turned on the main breaker while keeping the resistor in place. Once it was engaged I removed the resistor and everything was fine. I then initialized the inverter by holding down the enter button and it began powering my loads.

Back