diy solar

diy solar

SunPower 327w ($0.34/watt) and LG Neon2 320w ($0.42/watt) USED

Picasso

Solar Enthusiast
Not sure the story on the panels. Some of the Sunpower panels I got had new MC4 connectors, But this is a killer deal for panels. 20 panel minimum. Coming out of AZ. Can pick up direct or ship $180-$300 Msg me for contact details. Paypay or credit card direct with fax authorization. Just passing on this deal putting the panels in the sun I ordered in the morn. Will report back pics and output.

Last edited:
Last October I bought 37 Sunpower X21 335W BLK panels from Santan, also at $110/each. I have only spot checked 3 of them so far, but both Isc and Voc were in spec. (no, I don't have standardized test equipment). There is no Sunpower warranty and there is a metal sticker on the back indicating so. Santan provides a 1 year warranty.

I plan to build a ground mount grid tied system using 16 to 20 panels this spring in northern Wisconsin. I have had 16 of this exact model panel on my roof since 2015, but I won't mention what I paid back then because it was insane. They were the highest efficiency panel on the consumer market at the time.

If anyone knows the back story on where Santan acquired these Sunpower panels I would like to know. I asked them point-blank and they would not say. Maybe from a hurricane damaged solar farm. Some of the panels do have long scratches on them.

You never see sunpower bstock for sale. Plus it had an mc4 connector problem, swapped out vs repair infield. 4 so far out of my recent 327 order had new connectors. Few places in AZ now that seem to deal quietly with these manufacturer offshoots...

Should I be concerned about the MC4 connectors on my used Santan solar sourced Sunpower solar panels?
Any suggestions?

I would think San Tan needs to keep their source confidential just to be sure they can get product

I just installed 345 watt sun powers from Santana and they are great. I’m not an expert but the mc4 were fine and the Voc was as advertised.

I am NO expert, but here is what I do for a quick check... This is certainly not exhaustive testing and doesn't begin to check things like thermal cycling issues, voltage leaking, arcing, etc. But it's quick and easy to do.

On a very sunny summer day around solar-noon local time, I place my test panel in the sun, pointing directly at it.
I place a short stick (~1ft) with a square flat end, perpendicular to the face of the panel, and set up the panel so the stick casts no shadow.

1) I measure Voc using my multi-meter set to DC volts.
No connection to the panel other than my meter is used. Voltage should be near Voc as stated on the back.
This measurement is not very sensitive to panel angle. NOTE: temperature affects Voc, and the expected value can adjusted using information on the back. Look for temperature coefficient value.

2) I measure short circuit current (Isc) using my multi-meter set to highest DC Amps setting.
a) I cover the solar panel with an opaque object like a blanket or cardboard. This prevents a large spark from damaging your panel connectors or meter leads when I connect the meter in step d.
b) I verify that my meter has the input current capacity in excess of the max solar panel current.
c) I configure my multi-meter to DC measure current (by moving red probe to current input).
d) I connect my meter leads to MC4 connectors, which has the effect of shorting out the panel, and allows me to measure Isc.
e) I remove the cover on the panel and make the Isc reading. The Isc reading is very sensitive to panel angle (and panel condition).
f) I put the cover back on the panel and remove my meter connections.
g) I try really hard not to forget to move my red meter probe back to the voltage input so the next time I use my meter I am not shorting out what I am measuring!! It has happened.

Note: I only use the procedure described here on a single panel! I would never do this using 2 or more panels as the voltages could become lethal!

If anyone knows of better procedures, please post a follow up. This procedure is actually a bit time consuming now that I think about it and can't be done indoors.

Reactions: e97
Back