diy solar

diy solar

Supplier of 100W 24V Solar Panels?

Philfr

I am considering a 400W system and wondering if anyone knows a good source of 100W 24V panels.
I am just considering options of 4x100 24V vs
4x100W 12V, or
2x200W 24V.

Thanks - I was hoping to get 48V 8 amp out of 4x100 wired series parallel
Why do you want to wire 4 parallel?
24V panels are Not 24V output

12V panels are Not 12V output.
So called 12V 100 watt panels output about 18Vmp and 22Voc.

V x A = Watts
18Vmp x 5.5 Amp is 100 watts.

Just look at the label on the panel or the spec sheet and stop being confused by the 12V and 24V categories that are irrelevant when you use a MPPT SCC.
Voc
Vmp
Imp
Isc

So what charge controller are you planning on using?

Just out of curiosity, why are you set on 48v from your array? That seems pretty specific.
I am using nominal values and realize that 'my mileage will vary' when discussing panel voltages. I'm just spacing the system now and am interested in driving the highest reasonable voltage and lowest amps off the panels.

Why do you want to wire 4 parallel?
24V panels are Not 24V output

12V panels are Not 12V output.
So called 12V 100 watt panels output about 18Vmp and 22Voc.

V x A = Watts
18Vmp x 5.5 Amp is 100 watts.

Just look at the label on the panel or the spec sheet and stop being confused by the 12V and 24V categories that are irrelevant when you use a MPPT SCC.
Voc
Vmp
Imp
Isc

So what charge controller are you planning on using?
Series parallel - for increased voltage and shade decoupling. I am using nominal values and realize that 'my mileage will vary' when discussing panel voltages. I'm just spacing the system now and am interested in driving the highest reasonable voltage and lowest amps off the panels.

I've decided on Rich Solar 200w 24 v for my small RV.
FYI- HQST has a sale online until March 22. Due to space restrictions,
I'll be using one of their compact 100w panels with the Rich panel, also.

I'm just spacing the system now and am interested in driving the highest reasonable voltage and lowest amps off the panels.
This seems pretty spurious. What SCC are you planning on using? THIS should be more of a consideration than "reasonableness" of voltage of an array. The SCC's input voltage (and MPPT range), based on panel/array Voc (and temperature adjustments) should be your primary metric in selecting and configuring panels.

Series parallel - for increased voltage and shade decoupling. I am using nominal values and realize that 'my mileage will vary' when discussing panel voltages. I'm just spacing the system now and am interested in driving the highest reasonable voltage and lowest amps off the panels.
You have no idea what you are doing.
When you design a system you have to take into account your panels Voc and the max volts input and MPPT range for your battery voltage.

12V or 24V is the battery voltage not the panel output voltage.
A 12V catergory panel can charge a 12V battery using a PWM scc.
Using MPPT invalidates that.

Thanks @tictag
this is a very common cause of confusion. Consumer retail marketing advertise solar panels as "12V" and "24V" but this is just to simplify things for the masses. A panel marketed as "12V" does NOT produce 12V, in fact they tend to produce 21.6Voc, which in turn is (usually) produced by connecting 36 individual 0.6V PV cells together in series.

The term "12V" (or "24V" or "48V") is used to combine compatible products together and is actually the 'nominal system voltage'. For example, a "12V" (nominal) battery can vary from 10V to 14.4V, a "12V" (nominal) PV panel can vary from 21.6Voc to around 19Vmp in operation and below depending on solar irradiance.

Series is increasing voltage, same current.
Parallel is increasing current, same voltage.

Often the best combination is an array constructed of both. like 2S2P

I think you need to clarify your goals and system details for maximum benefit. A 24V panel is a 72 cell panel with the following typical parameters:

36V operating
47V maximum

On most MPPT charge controllers, you can't even put 3 in series.

Series is increasing voltage, same current.
Parallel is increasing current, same voltage.

Often the best combination is an array constructed of both. like 2S2P

I think you need to clarify your goals and system details for maximum benefit. A 24V panel is a 72 cell panel with the following typical parameters:

36V operating
47V maximum

On most MPPT charge controllers, you can't even put 3 in series.

EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 40A 150V​

Thanks Snoobler - My boon docking goals include trying to get an efficient system and reduce wire costs but not at expense of increasing component costs. I like the idea of using 2 x 200W panels to make install easier and to save a few lbs weight when compared to installing 4 x 100W. So I was thinking to go with the EPEVER 40A 150V MPPT SCC (or maybe the 40A 100V MPPT) to handle the SERIES connected 47Vmax panels then into a 24V battery system (and 24V-12V converter to trailer wiring) and a 2000-2200W inverter. However I could also go parallel into a smaller input voltage MPPT (haven't identified a brand yet) and then into a 12V battery system to 12V DC RV and inverter. My trailer is pretty small so likely that if one panel is in the shade the other will be too. I am new at this and reading and watching as much as I can.

Back