diy solar

diy solar

Surface mount ac breaker

John Frum

Tell me your problems
Does such a thing exist?
For bonus points appropriately certified.
I'm in Canada.
15 amps@120VAC

Not AFAIK... but depending your application you might be able to go out of the box. For example, DIN mounts have a flat back and you could modify a pcb to take a through-hole.

Not AFAIK... but depending your application you might be able to go out of the box. For example, DIN mounts have a flat back and you could modify a pcb to take a through-hole.

I guess I could use a little piece of din rail.
And some strain reliefs.

When you say surface mount are you talking about SMDs on a PCB ? or just to be able to screw the breaker on a wall or something?

When you say surface mount are you talking about SMDs on a PCB ? or just to be able to screw the breaker on a wall or something?

Not familiar with either acronym.
I imagined that it be screwed down.
Hadn't thought of din rail but that is fine also.

Ok, that's what I thought. So then you can use a DIN rail like they've done on the BYD batteries (tried to find the image I'm thinking of but can't find it even if I know it's somewhere on this forum) by using bolts to attach the rail from the front instead of the back like it's done usually ;)

I used DIN rail in my build. But it's DC and the dual pole circuit breaker doesn't get or put any current to the DIN rail.

All my breakers used to be Square-D QO plug-on breakers in panels, but I've been using a bunch of DIN parts lately.
I have DC breakers and fuses on DIN rails for PV.
I have a bunch of 2-pole 63A Schneider DIN breakers. I'm using them on the AC input and output of my battery inverters.
For one, I can tuck them into small box (like my disconnect switch) and protect the wires to all my inverters.
Also, I've found them to have lower resistance than the QO breakers. When I have two inverters in parallel with relay feeding grid through, current was imbalanced using QO. Using the Schneider miniature breakers on DIN, no problem.
I've also got 63A transfer switch consisting of interlocked breakers. That will let me bypass the battery inverters if they're down.

Canadian Electrical Code issue: An exposed AC breaker is a NO NO ! and for good reason.
Listen, step back to KISS. I use Square-D AC Panels & Gear simply because if I ever need a part, breaker what not, you can get Square-D stuff anywhere and it will not break the bank. Even the specialty breakers are only 24 hours away by courier.

A simple Square-D box like this is cheap: shop it on Amazon & EBay too but pay attention to the S&H details can push the price to stupid.

All breakers including specialty & oddballs can be had from here Fast & Cheap too:

I plan on using this Box to mount the DC breakers for my RV Solar/Battery system. It's DIN rail mount in the back and should surface mount where ever you need it.

No clue as to if it is 'to code'.

I was wondering if this is a good idea and this thread offers a great opportunity to test the theory :)

I plan on using this Box to mount the DC breakers for my RV Solar/Battery system. It's DIN rail mount in the back and should surface mount where ever you need it.

No clue as to if it is 'to code'.

I was wondering if this is a good idea and this thread offers a great opportunity to test the theory :)

Code? What code? In an RV? Yeah, somewhere there is something published by RVIA probably.

That box is dirt cheap. If I had seen that before I did my install I probably would have incorporated it into my design.

Economical, and it has the knock-outs to cover breakers.
I'll need to make a cover for the Square-D box I repurposed to my DIN transfer switch.

Thermal trip only, not magnetic so no fast trip for large overloads. Takes a second or so to trip.
For AC, can handle short-circuit current of 200A? 1000A? Not sure the to different parameters.
DC, don't see the interrupt capability.

Probably good for AC from an inverter, which can't deliver much current anyway.
Maybe it is intended as part of equipment. Not good as a branch circuit breaker off the grid, those should have 10kA interrupting.
Should work for PV panels up to 50V, but not battery circuits.

Thermal trip only, not magnetic so no fast trip for large overloads. Takes a second or so to trip.
For AC, can handle short-circuit current of 200A? 1000A? Not sure the to different parameters.
DC, don't see the interrupt capability.

Probably good for AC from an inverter, which can't deliver much current anyway.
Maybe it is intended as part of equipment. Not good as a branch circuit breaker off the grid, those should have 10kA interrupting.
Should work for PV panels up to 50V, but not battery circuits.

Goes between 1500 watt inverter and 120VAC load.

Goes between 1500 watt inverter and 120VAC load.

You would have to go out of your way to wire that in a manner such that 1500W inverter could overload the wire, even with a penny in the fuse box.

Based on the trip curve, that breaker is allowed to never trip at maximum output of the inverter. Won't necessarily do anything except act as a switch.

You would have to go out of your way to wire that in a manner such that 1500W inverter could overload the wire, even with a penny in the fuse box.

Based on the trip curve, that breaker is allowed to never trip at maximum output of the inverter. Won't necessarily do anything except act as a switch.

At 10.5 amps the breaker can trip between 100 seconds and never.
I think I will drop the rating to 8 amps.

I think that's 400 seconds for "1,35" times rating, or "1.35" as I write it.
So 8A breaker should hold up to 8.4A continuously, and with 10.5A trip between 30 seconds and 400 seconds.
Based on 25 degree ambient.

My QO breakers have several areas of the curves. Up in the hundreds to thousands of seconds, a similar 1.35x range. Down in the few seconds range, 4x to 13x rating. And then fast magnetic trip below that.
Hold is 1.0x
These are based on 40 degree ambient.

If ambient is hotter, reducing wire ampacity, thermal trip of breakers will be at lower current.

Back