diy solar

diy solar

Surge Arrestor for Washing Machine

colinf

Hi,

I have a Growatt SPF-DVM 6000T in a very off-grid location (rural northern Colombia) with 4050W of panel input. We had a washing machine which completely failed a few months ago and have recently bought a replacement washing machine (Haceb 9002542) which claims to have a nominal motor consumption of 700W. It is used quite regularly and causes the growatt to trip almost every time it is used (daily), seemingly when it enters into its spin cycle. The inverter claims to have a surge rating of 18KW at 20ms but doesn't seem to comply with that, it trips when certain 1200W power tools are started.

Does anybody have experience with sizing up a capacitor bank at an outlet which supplies surge loads? I'm interested to see if a capacitor bank will absorb the surge and cause the inverter to stop tripping.

Alternatively: This model of growatt has a split phase output and I am currently powering the washing machine off a single 110V phase, which only allows it 3kW of total power (so I assume only 9kW of surge?). I have another hope to fix it by buying a 220V to 110V step down transformer and wiring it across the two lines for 220V and plugging the washing machine into that, allowing it 6kW of power and a higher surge protection. Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

Attached is the consumption sticker and product number for the washing machine.

A 20 millisecond surge basically means it has zero surge. A electric motor needs surge power for 500-1000 milliseconds. I would not fiddle with capacitor-based jury-rigs for making it start. If you want an inverter with SERIOUS surge and split-phase capacity, l'd suggest looking at the the Outback and Schneider inverters.

My 24V Conext 4024 starts a 1.6hp air compressor, and my 48V XW+ starts up my 1hp well-pump.

I'm off grid with two big Schneiders. I can say, my lean, energy efficent washer causes lights to flicker with every little surge. I only say this, because although these are crazy quick surges, they are the only surges that does this. No blinking lights with well pump, air conditioner, etc. There's a whole lot of mini-surges with washing machines I've found out despite their low wattage rating.

21508C37-1380-4597-9420-4631C97A95C9.jpegEven if your inverter is “EMP” hardened, it’s a good idea to install a “Whole House Surge Protector”. Consider it a disposable front line for those. But nothing will protect you from a direct lightning hit, but probably the in the neighborhood. That being said;
The most common of power surges occurs inside the home: According to the NEMA Surge Protection Institute, “60-80% of surges happen within the home, from your refrigerators and A/C units, to your washers and dryers, cycling on and off; however, the most powerful of surges occur outside the home, like downed power lines and lightning strikes.”

If you’re off grid, you need only one. A second one between the meter and inverter if connected in any way to the grid. I use two HEPD80 Square D devices and they are a great bang for the buck and orange big box store usually has this larger variant. It is current and thermal protected and is shown as an option install “direct main bus” (panel) no breaker. Surge protectors have a life expectancy directly linked to how many saves and how big the surge was. When the indicator light goes out, time to replace. Since I installed mine there have been no faults or glitches in my system period.

Back