diy solar

diy solar

SUV SYSTEM, HOMELESS IN FL.

tommyw3267

I don't have more than a month 2 wait for parts from china to build my own system and it needs to be strong enough to run a 5000btu low start a/c unit I have a little over 2k put away, the plug and play systems are they strong enough

Can you define what you are looking for a little bit better? Specifically:
- Are you expecting to have access to a shorepower connection?
- Are you expecting solar to be your primary charge source?
- How often would the A/C be run and how much power does it consume?
- Make/Model SUV (or just the rough size of the roof)?
- Apart from A/C, what are you hoping to power?

How important is A/C? You may have to come to terms with the reality that it may well not be possible or practical to run an A/C in an SUV sized system. At a minimum, it will be the single biggest factor in driving up the cost and size of your system.

The suv is 2000 lexus rx300, roof 4x5',, not covering the sunroof,;4x8ft,if need be I will find a way with mounting hrdware, for high output panels,the a/c unit will be at peak 400/400watt 5k btu, and serously running 20 hrs a day..it's an suv, but in Central Florida,It Mize well be in a pizza oven, I've tempt the car @134*,inside,, but I did have the idea of starting all of this for now with a small sportsmen generator,there 200.00, and then accumulating the parts for a system, I'm ordering the giandale 22/4400 inverter charger,with it for the future system,like I said for now it's a time crunch with the bank @ the door...I looked at pricing all the parts for system inthis heat and the numbers are great if I could afford the lifepo4 storage, but it's extremely costly, wills day's build assemblies I know I can build but I just don't have the time to wait for or gamble that they

won't be here in time,( yea I'm a renter w a landlord that hasn't paid his mortgage for 3 years),,this is going to have to be a complete off grid system, I'm even removing the front passenger seat for more space for batteries but it cost prohibited, but I tell you that seat if you don't need it get rid of it ..so much cu.ft...I priced the ampere time 200ah and 3 isn't enough, and my understanding is there the best for $$,, but so costly,, regards tw,...all of this is so costly,

The suv is 2000 lexus rx300, roof 4x5',, not covering the sunroof,;4x8ft,if need be I will find a way with mounting hrdware, for high output panels,the a/c unit will be at peak 400/400watt 5k btu, and serously running 20 hrs a day..it's an suv, but in Central Florida,It Mize well be in a pizza oven, I've tempt the car @134*,inside,, but I did have the idea of starting all of this for now with a small sportsmen generator,there 200.00, and then accumulating the parts for a system,
4x5' puts you in the ballpark of 300W-400W of solar probably, maybe more or less depending on panel origami and whether you can find panels perfect for the dimensions you have. a 60 cell panel is about 40" * 60-70". Possibly you could fit more if you could find smaller panels that made more efficient use of the dimensions you have available.

But this amount of solar can't run a 400W A/C 20/hrs a day or even half that long. I don't know what the duty cycle of the A/C would be but in a hot uninsulated car in full sun I imagine it would be working hard.

I'm ordering the giandale 22/4400 inverter charger,with it for the future system,like I said for now it's a time crunch with the bank @ the door...
I realize there is some amount of urgency but don't start buying things before you have a plan, and before you have determined feasibility. You are much more likely to waste money or buy things unsuitable or unideal for your situation if you buy things before you have a plan and a rough design.

For instance, if your largest load is 400W, why are you buying a 4400W inverter, and have you considered what the idle power consumption or efficiency is? Larger inverter usually means higher losses.

I looked at pricing all the parts for system inthis heat and the numbers are great if I could afford the lifepo4 storage, but it's extremely costly, wills day's build assemblies I know I can build but I just don't have the time to wait for or gamble that they
Someone posted a link to these 100Ah lifepo4 batteries in the deals section. They currently have a $40 off coupon, so about $320 + tax after the coupon per 100Ah. Don't know anything about them personally but Will gave them a decent review (apparently identical to some of the other lower cost drop in replacement lifepo4's available on the market).

this is going to have to be a complete off grid system, I'm even removing the front passenger seat for more space for batteries but it cost prohibited, but I tell you that seat if you don't need it get rid of it ..so much cu.ft...

I priced the ampere time 200ah and 3 isn't enough
Considered your limited space for solar, how would you intend to charge a battery bank this size?
600Ah @ 12.8V = 7.7kWh
800Ah @ 12.8V 10.2kWh
Battery capacity is only part of the equation (and not the most important part), before you figure out battery capacity, consider energy in vs energy out. Ballpark how much energy you will consumer in a 24hr period, ballpark how much energy you could possibly generate over that period.

I think it might be worthwhile to stop, push the feeling of urgency aside for a short time, go back up the decision tree a couple steps, and consider whether this is your best and only option? Could the SUV be traded for a vehicle, trailer, or something else better fit for purpose, could the $2000 you have saved for solar go towards renting a room in a house for a few months while you figure the rest out, could you relocate somewhere where A/C isn't needed?

Head North till the Butter stops melting. Drop your Anchor. Have a Drink.
5000 btu is 600+ VA not 400 watts if you have no Reactance power.

Last edited:
I don't have more than a month 2 wait for parts from china to build my own system and it needs to be strong enough to run a 5000btu low start a/c unit I have a little over 2k put away, the plug and play systems are they strong enough
How much time do you have?
If possible please factor in some time for "sea trials".

You were right I canceled the inverter for when I recieve my claim from ssi,but who knows,looks like, logically until I I can get the van or travel trailer w/ roof sq,footage, solar will not be an option,...I did go for now the route of a inexpensive generator which will provide enough for the ac,laptop,..instead of running the engine like I did for 400 days, thank you all for you help I look forward to this discussion when I get my rv..tommy

Reactions: Dzl
Also this is just the area I'm so familiar with is engine's, so I'm airing other side of caution;that's why I came here and thanks all of you ,not ssi, Done the numbers For westinghouse, and sportsmen, and this should prove to be effective for now, oh and I'm tied to fl for doctors but it's a big state now I will get to see it from the keys to the north state line to west coast!!!!

I also did have a thought that I was going to need a probable 1200-1500watts of panels on the roof just wasn't sure, and the fridgidare 5k btu is a low watt low amp unit which once running draws between 4 and 500 watts, again thaks all,

I'm ordering the giandale 22/4400 inverter
That's a bit large of Inverter. I run a 5000 BTU Window Unit in my Van with a 1200W Pure Sine Giandale.

Could the SUV be traded for a vehicle, trailer, or something else better fit for purpose,
I've insulated my Windowless Chevy Van with R13 in the walls. After insulation - even without any A/C it never went above 100F anymore.

I've tempt the car @134*,inside

A Car with all those windows is very hard to cool. Get your windows tinted or some reflectix.
For westinghouse, and sportsmen, and this should prove to be effective for now,
Those small generators are good. Good luck with your adventures.

I think it might be worthwhile to stop, push the feeling of urgency aside for a short time, go back up the decision tree a couple steps, and consider whether this is your best and only option? Could the SUV be traded for a vehicle, trailer, or something else better fit for purpose, could the $2000 you have saved for solar go towards renting a room in a house for a few months while you figure the rest out, could you relocate somewhere where A/C isn't needed
This is the best technical advice I’ve seen in a while.

I’ve been there: two kids, me with custody, 2008 crazy economy, and landlord foreclosed on and nothing in the bank.

Step back a minute- your ‘safe place’ might sound like the suv cuz it’s predictable and can’t be taken away. I get the feeling.

But I’m not a betting man and I’d be willing to bet you have much better options.

One is scummy if you do it with a different situation but with a foreclosed landlord? And a housing emergency? You can buy yourself months and have the courts chasing their tails with careful planning. 30 days is hardly enough time to get a new situation but sixty days is doable.

Don’t paint yourself in a corner.

I may write more later but I’m with drzl- stop panicking and let some stuff have the opportunity to develop. I’ve survived some crazy stuff - crazier Utahn this- and one thing I finally learned is to stop surviving and start exceeding my circumstances. You have to ‘survive’ the next few months but you can’t make that a continuum. One health event or whatever and you wind up in a place that’s hard to dig out of. You’re in the wealthiest population on earth- you don’t have to starve or suffer.
Trust me. I know. My life story has some nutty stuff. You don’t have to let your circumstances be permanent or risky.
Roof. Food. Bed. Shower. Transportation. Income. Friends. Philanthropy.

Hang on - let’s think this through.

Thank you dzl. You hit me in the chest today.

Thank you all but this situation I was in thought I was out of for good and started helping the friend= non paying mortgage for 3 years/landlord with his bus upstart and not taking a paycheck for a room, and until my ssi landed,I'm really stuck herein the state,FL..I lived in the car before, the plan was for a med travel trailer, but ssi,won't pay the lump sum for at least a year, other than that I'm at 798.mo, I've seen the unpredictability of the palmbeach county sheriff offices when it comes to the renter inside the foreclosure they don't even want to hear it!,they tell you you have an hour maybe 2 to get your stuff out and the rest well I didn't stay to find out..oh, and for here within 30min of my doctors, thers nothing to rent safely for, 400,600.00 a month, truth is except when I got hurt,was the safest place knew, and knew I this given the opportunity/option of some national parks,

sheriff offices when it comes to the renter inside the foreclosure they don't even want to hear it!,they tell you you have an hour maybe 2 to get your stuff out and the rest well I didn't stay to find out.
Well you’re already out then?
A lot of places even a 5 day notice is illegal for no-default evictions. (I have been a rental manager). So you reply to the court order and quote the law and ask the court to uphold the law. I don’t know Florida laws but I can’t imagine some tenant protections aren’t in place. But maybe Florida’s different.
In my case (2009 when I got finally got a 5-day court ordered eviction notice served) I quoted the state law, AND the no-default eviction moratorium Obama had signed to curb no-fault displacement. They court responded with a letter served the following morning instructing the foreclosing lender to resubmit the eviction in compliance with the law. A few months later they did with again not complying with state law terms.
16 months and numerous bogus ‘eviction notices’ later they finally got everything right and I had sixty days to move and got a check for $600. By then I’d regrouped and had a decent job. Moving wasn’t easy or preferred but the time I ‘bought’ made it possible. In fact I probably could’ve moved a few months after the first illegal ‘eviction’ but as time passed it both incensed me that they were getting signed orders that weren’t legal, and it became sorta fun to be frustrating Fannie Mae’s lawyer.
What if I wasn’t smart enough to know the law? Homeless or welfare were the options I guess. And I’ve never been on welfare.

Just because the sheriff shows up with a doc doesn’t mean the judge-signed order is legal is the lesson in that.

Meantime- so you’re disabled? But you were helping the landlord? Can you use those skills to acquire a paying job and get some housing assistance? All you need is to get ahead of your finances somehow. An RV with solar and a cheap lot to rent could cut your costs enough to make life possible. Like I said- I’ve been through some stuff.

Living in a car is no fun and I’m thankful I never had to do that - but I’ve been close. Very grateful to have been able to reposition myself. I’m still in my RV but it’s by choice not desperation. Landlords selling (twice) and a landlord being foreclosed on at vulnerable times just sucks.

You don’t have to retract, you can as dzl said step back and take a look around. Let opportunity develop; look for it!
5/6 years ago from a bad customer situation I was almost out of options but I busted it snd dug myself out. I never missed a meal but I sure wasn’t eating fancy. Very thankful.

You can escape your circumstances, you are not required to be subject to them.

I’d forego the solar and A/C for now. Preserve your cash. Get out of the city. Get someplace you can have a job. Get some assistance. Then you’ll be able to be in a position to be independent without all the vulnerabilities.

i moved to kansas on my ssdi. find a state where the rent is low and take your check and head there. good hunting

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 07-00-50 Nex-Tech Classifieds.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 07-00-50 Nex-Tech Classifieds.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 13
I seriously thought about moving to the less expensive states even withe disabilities I have and some even pay you to move and live there,but I am seriously stuck with these doctors, and the documentation they provide, NOW I HAVE TO ASK HAS SOMEONE CROOKED INFILTRATED THIS SITE,I HAVE WON NOTHING EVER IN MY LIFE EXCEPT A 5.00 SCRATCH OFF TICKET...SOMEONE AFFILIATED WITH THIS SITE CLAIMED I HAVE WON A LIFEPO4 BATTERY 100ah...ALL I NEED TO DO IS PAY THE SHIPPING COST, IS ANY ONE OUTTHERE, AND I THINK ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE KNOW MY EMAIL, AND NO I DIDN'T SEND THE MONEY, I HAVE TO LITTLE TO TAKE RISKS ON SCAMS IF THATS WAT IT IS,SO HAS ANY ONE EVER GOTTEN A FREE. ANYTHING FROM HERE ,HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy,
You were right to assume this is a scam. The e-mail you received is certainly a scam. And its extremely unlikely it is coming from anyone affiliated with the site--even if it appears to be. Its rather trivial to make an e-mail appear to originate from somewhere or someone else, in this day and age, its something you need to be very vigilante about.

Do not divulge any personal or sensitive information to the person that e-mailed you, and definitely do not pay them anything or give them any financial info.

It is not a good practice to post your e-mail address publicly. I have removed it from your previous comment, I'm not sure if you included it on purpose or by accident, but its exactly this sort of thing that leads to getting spam/scam/phishing e-mails like this.

Happy holidays, stay safe.

I have thought of going to a state where they actually pay you to MOVE AND live there,the doctors AND documentation they keep up with provides MY meds FOR FREE ,WITHOUT HAVING TO GO THROUGH A NEW MRI.............................( CLAUSTROPHOBIC),(epilepsy, BUT A MORE SERIOUS SUBJECT ,IVE WON PLENTY OF FREE SIEZURE MEDS. A5.00 SCRATCHER ,THEN 5 DAYS AGO A PERSON FROM THIS SITE TOLD ME I WAS A "TROPHY WINNER " OF A LIFEPO4 100ah BATTERY, I JUST HAD TO PAY THE SHIPPING, RANGING FROM 152.00 TO 200.00 PLUS, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF THIS REAL OH AND PAYMENT Ws to be done thru bitcoin, and other 3rd party peeeepay debit cards...what kind of person would target myself or others in that fact what if I had young children, and wasn't smart enough to think this through and sent 175.00 to some mutt, who spends his day thinking how to ripoff really poor nice people,W T F...YES ICAN AFFORD A G BATTERY OF THE FUTURE NOW FOR 150.00EA FOR SHIPPING, BUT $

As mentioned in your other thread:
1. This is certainly a scam
2. This is almost certainly nothing to do with anyone from this site

All it would take is (A) knowing you visit this site, and (B) your e-mail address, for someone to send out a scam/phishing e-mail like this. You've got to be careful when sharing your e-mail address (or any other personal information) publicly and be vigilante and cautious with unsolicited e-mails.

Thank you your the best, well I did keep WHT info igot there phone. But what I don't get is how this happened the 2 msgs I got were at the bell in the top corner next to the lightning bolt,envelope, and magnifying glass/ie,search,and one msg was from Dzl,the other in question " you have been awarded a trophy "so I started following were it took me ,,,,???!!

As mentioned in your other thread:
1. This is certainly a scam
2. This is almost certainly nothing to do with anyone from this site

All it would take is (A) knowing you visit this site, and (B) your e-mail address, for someone to send out a scam/phishing e-mail like this. You've got to be careful when sharing your e-mail address (or any other personal information) publicly and be vigilante and cautious with unsolicited e-mails.
Just sent something else but unfortunately it started in the DIY SOLARPOWER FORUM,and I'm sad.for the some one that fell for one of the 2 phone numbers I got out of the guy claiming to be will

Back