diy solar

diy solar

Sw 4024 not inverting from 115ah lead, passes ac from Honda eu2000i. Two weeks no power,off-grid 40 years

Not what is happening. Honda does not redline it idles up slightly. Works great for years. Qualifies power in 10 seconds every time for years. Never redlines, batteries are charged already, 25.2 cold, do you know anything about lead acid?!? You are wrong in your assumptions. No revving of motor no gen overload, no red light on genset. No dirty power ever. 124.8v constantly all the time, @ all terminals on Sw. Have matching genset same output.

Knew this when I bought it, worked perfectly for years, battery bank is small charge from inverter is small. Never need to use it but works great.

You are foolish to assume what you don't know. Genset has nothing to do with anything I'm even having a problem with!!!?!

Did I say it was redlining, NO... You call me cheap and you don't even know anything or u can't read or run on lithium. Grow up and be nice or go home to your momma. I've been doing this my whole life and you are a troll. Have a bad day, good bye, you are not helpful and wasting everyone's time who might want to learn from this situation which is why we are all here to help each other and learn and be safe! Grow up!
Easy cowboy. People are trying to help, even if it may come across harsh. Don't turn this into personal attacks.

You haven't said why you can't add an SCP. Without it you - and we - are shooting in the dark.

I'm guessing it is unrelated, but if you are charging only to 25.2V, your batteries (FLA or AGM) are not getting fully charged.

A 115 ah lead acid battery will quickly go pop if pushed very long with 90 amp charge.
This is not happening read the post no redline.

No 13a genset will produce 90a. If it tried it would pop ac gen breaker or throw red overvolt light on genset.
Gen is at near idle when charging because batteries are nearly full and charged 99.9%. stop talking about gen if it's irrelevant please

Easy cowboy. People are trying to help, even if it may come across harsh. Don't turn this into personal attacks.

You haven't said why you can't add an SCP. Without it you - and we - are shooting in the dark.

I'm guessing it is unrelated, but if you are charging only to 25.2V, your batteries (FLA or AGM) are not getting fully charged.
I wasn't calling anyone cheap read the post, he was. Read the post 25.2 cold, do I you have lithium also? Read the post charges to 30v in day. No loads at night or day. Full battery in morning 25.2v cold. Been at this for decades how long have you been kicking lead and cleaning pv arrays?!?!??!?

Well, if I've offended you, I sincerely apologize.
Don't assume things you don't know and go off topic.
Don't insult people you don't know.
How old are you and how long have you been doing this?
You are not sincere you are bored or uneducated, go away please

I wasn't calling anyone cheap read the post, he was. Read the post 25.2 cold, do I you have lithium also? Read the post charges to 30v in day. No loads at night or day. Full battery in morning 25.2v cold. Been at this for decades how long have you been kicking lead and cleaning pv arrays?!?!??!?
Ok, nothing in my post should have offended you at all, but there you go with being nasty.

For what it's worth, my Schneider SW4024 is currently on AGM batteries, at my cabin that has been off grid since we built in almost 50 years ago.

I really think you are done here. Maybe you can find more help somewhere else.

Oh, and you still won't say what's wrong with getting an SCP. But I no longer really care.

I never understood why manufacturer sets default charging current so high. That is not usually the first thing a new user thinks about when trying out their new inverter for the first time.
I am not a new user this is not a new install it powers my home. Thank you

Ok, nothing in my post should have offended you at all, but there you go with being nasty.

For what it's worth, my Schneider SW4024 is currently on AGM batteries, at my cabin that has been off grid since we built in almost 50 years ago.

I really think you are done here. Maybe you can find more help somewhere else.

Oh, and you still won't say what's wrong with getting an SCP. But I no longer really care.
You assume and ramble on and drag post off topic and waste time taking it in the wrong direction with the genset, I never use a genset. I burn a gallon a year to keep the cobwebs out. Stop running your mouth for fun, you are nasty? That is the pot calling the kettle black. Looking for answers, not here to chat about irrelevant solar bs. This is not a hobby. Never has been, I need power like everyone else in the world. End of story. Now looking for cliff...

You are mad because I said something about a genset? Where did I say that?

Oh, and you still won't say why you won't get an SCP.

The inverter charges batteries still. Just won't won't work in inverter mode, ie no 110v ac from battery bank. Pretty much junk if it won't make power from batteries. I have no grid and hate running a genset for daily living, gas is 5.10$ here right now...
Feel ur pain... generator gas cost is killing me. Btw is part of why I bought that charger.

Not saying do same, was what I did to take pressure off from freaking NO power. U know, to be able to think. For me, taking my time was best idea yet cuz learned solutions I didnt know existed.

Thinking of ur issue: didn't u say this worked in past? Im saying if true, really narrows down problem. Assuming u havent changed anything.

I had a xantrex sw3012 start to fail In a very similar fashion. The EEPROM went bad. I never fixed it; I had to remove all sources of power and cold boot it AND - most importantly- use the SCP to acknowledge the fault. It wouldn’t operate properly until then.
It would develop problems like not charging or wrong charging voltage or not inverting. And it was random.
So, if you stick with their products get an SCP for the current hardware and if it needs to be replaced you can use the SCP for the new stuff. Maybe find used equipment. Otherwise get Victron equipment.

Feel ur pain... generator gas cost is killing me. Btw is part of why I bought that charger.

Not saying do same, was what I did to take pressure off from freaking NO power. U know, to be able to think. For me, taking my time was best idea yet cuz learned solutions I didnt know existed.

Thinking of ur issue: didn't u say this worked in past? Im saying if true, really narrows down problem. Assuming u havent changed anything.
5.14$ a gallon today in town for 87. My batteries are charged 100% day and night just no inverter to harvest amps. 3 big arrays all charge separate banks in different areas. All lack ac out now all have failed inverters. Absorbing at 7am in shade and floating before I even look. They all float til sunset. Have two new 48v fla banks ready to go still unwrapped in truck. Need to discharge battery now need to charge new batteries now, they need to be assembled now and tested now. I need something to discharge these batteries evenly not some darn 12v inverter that messes up all my strings and make them lopsided.

Yes nothing has changed for years same setup since day one, perfect operation in all modes amazing flawless very very reliable. batteries had 1 replacement. That's it. No lighting no loads no surge no rain no sun no people no falling object or animals or ufo. Just won't turn on transformer and make inverter noise. Just relays, fans and lights

I had a xantrex sw3012 start to fail In a very similar fashion. The EEPROM went bad. I never fixed it; I had to remove all sources of power and cold boot it AND - most importantly- use the SCP to acknowledge the fault. It wouldn’t operate properly until then.
It would develop problems like not charging or wrong charging voltage or not inverting. And it was random.
So, if you stick with their products get an SCP for the current hardware and if it needs to be replaced you can use the SCP for the new stuff. Maybe find used equipment. Otherwise get Victron equipment.
That's all great information and very helpful it's so random. I've been trying to do everything you just said, had the same logical thought process as you're having now. What you're saying makes absolute perfect sense and I agree 100%.

Losing confidence on getting their new stuff since they stopped supporting this inverter in less than 8 yrs since introduction. American product going down hill. Might as well by growatt for 1/2 price and expect a brick in 2-5 years but a cheeper one. Schneider used to help people and fix stuff. Seems like china crap now at double price.

I here you on victron, aussie stuff is well built like usa stuff once was. Professional grade quality vs alibaba. Thanks for all input sounds like the same decisions I've been facing for weeks now and into the future, thanks again, very relevant. Good advice, every bit.

I agree with most here - you need a SCP to diagnose. Where are you located? I have a spare SCP (older version - It will control all the basics, but not a few of the advanced functions. You can update at a dealer, if desired). PM me, if you are interested. Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with most here - you need a SCP to diagnose. Where are you located? I have a spare SCP (older version - It will control all the basics, but not a few of the advanced functions. You can update at a dealer, if desired). PM me, if you are interested. Good luck.
Don't know how to pm. I'm interested but I live in hell ( america) so you're probably nowhere near unless you live in dumbolt. How much do you want for the used anything that reads this thing? I'm very interested are you in US also? I just need fault codes or something Schneider won't help. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it greatly.

5.14$ a gallon today in town for 87. My batteries are charged 100% day and night just no inverter to harvest amps. 3 big arrays all charge separate banks in different areas. All lack ac out now all have failed inverters. Absorbing at 7am in shade and floating before I even look. They all float til sunset. Have two new 48v fla banks ready to go still unwrapped in truck. Need to discharge battery now need to charge new batteries now, they need to be assembled now and tested now. I need something to discharge these batteries evenly not some darn 12v inverter that messes up all my strings and make them lopsided.

Yes nothing has changed for years same setup since day one, perfect operation in all modes amazing flawless very very reliable. batteries had 1 replacement. That's it. No lighting no loads no surge no rain no sun no people no falling object or animals or ufo. Just won't turn on transformer and make inverter noise. Just relays, fans and lights
Without scrolling to top, wait a sec: are u saying: 3 arrays so 3 inverters went south? If so, thats bigger issue. Gotta be little green me in a flyby UFO. J/K.

Same here btw. New battery bank been in shed so I broke down and bought couple cheapo 24v inverters on banggood.com for ~$60 ea.

Dont recall but something u said made me think u had built in controller. Wait. Cant cuz u said stuck in float which implies MPPT with stage charging. Stuck in float is sign of damaged batteries. (Hopefully bad controllers didnt whack batteries. In turn whack inverters. Feeling major ouch here.

Ok here is what I would do: possible multiple problems SO yank so 1 thing at a time. Get that controller off until u know if bad (fyi controllers r #1 solar fire hazard and note: victron controllers r crap in my opinion).

Controller disconnected, discharge bit at a time which is good idea cuz I would buy el cheapo inverter while figuring this out. If got just 1, u could shuffle cuz I want u to follow the voltage drain. Any faster than others? Look for internal damage but stop at 75% cuz controller parked atm.

Been checking panel output? Cleaned them lately? U said no change so Im trying thin what 3 things would simultaneously go bad to cuz 3 inverters to simultaneously go bad.

And damnit, just read other day and now dont recall something incorrect going into an inverter will tear it up BUT it will work fine for awhile. (Fools u into thinking bad inverter)

Hope Im wrong. Gut us saying something isnt setup right... from awg to volts/amps into controller to pv setup in general.

Thinking controller went bad BUT 3 or maybe dc breaker box to bring arrays together?

Got me on this. Immediate is disconnect panels... isolate controller... test those batteries as discharge with cheap inverter BUT not too low.

U do know, too much cycling and fuil charge damages batteries. So ouch.

Um ur outa power while longer. Maybe u can at least throw together couple good batteries with a cheap controller and inverter... enough for basics while u untangle this web.

Good news is u can use the cheapo stuff to troubleshoot.

Without scrolling to top, wait a sec: are u saying: 3 arrays so 3 inverters went south? If so, thats bigger issue. Gotta be little green me in a flyby UFO. J/K.

Same here btw. New battery bank been in shed so I broke down and bought couple cheapo 24v inverters on banggood.com for ~$60 ea.

Dont recall but something u said made me think u had built in controller. Wait. Cant cuz u said stuck in float which implies MPPT with stage charging. Stuck in float is sign of damaged batteries. (Hopefully bad controllers didnt whack batteries. In turn whack inverters. Feeling major ouch here.

Ok here is what I would do: possible multiple problems SO yank so 1 thing at a time. Get that controller off until u know if bad (fyi controllers r #1 solar fire hazard and note: victron controllers r crap in my opinion).

Controller disconnected, discharge bit at a time which is good idea cuz I would buy el cheapo inverter while figuring this out. If got just 1, u could shuffle cuz I want u to follow the voltage drain. Any faster than others? Look for internal damage but stop at 75% cuz controller parked atm.

Been checking panel output? Cleaned them lately? U said no change so Im trying thin what 3 things would simultaneously go bad to cuz 3 inverters to simultaneously go bad.

And damnit, just read other day and now dont recall something incorrect going into an inverter will tear it up BUT it will work fine for awhile. (Fools u into thinking bad inverter)

Hope Im wrong. Gut us saying something isnt setup right... from awg to volts/amps into controller to pv setup in general.

Thinking controller went bad BUT 3 or maybe dc breaker box to bring arrays together?

Got me on this. Immediate is disconnect panels... isolate controller... test those batteries as discharge with cheap inverter BUT not too low.

U do know, too much cycling and fuil charge damages batteries. So ouch.

Um ur outa power while longer. Maybe u can at least throw together couple good batteries with a cheap controller and inverter... enough for basics while u untangle this web.

Good news is u can use the cheapo stuff to troubleshoot.
3 arrays and banks all sperate systems, yes.

Good advice I will check that site sounds crazy.

Separate cc's, outback Fm80 on each microsystem. One hour absorb goes quick cause batteries are still full from night before. Not stuck on float just full. Yes, yes. Maybe...

Yeah I did that and agree they are hazardous. Just combined two 24v arrays into one controller and switched it to 48v with 4s bank. Next heard of victron before this month.

Have an old china 48v 600 psw that faults if I turn on a load over 4-5 watts at atime, been using it to discharge whenever it's no faulted. It's 10 years old at least and never blown a fuse. Just looked at that site for like five hours. Rated output is incorrect on 90% of inverters as they show surge instead of rated output. The plugs are goofy too. Lots of 230v and 50hz. Was able to finally find a couple that might (hopefully) work until whenever so I can discharge and maybe run mr coffee or tv. Thanks for that advice, gonna be a while for shipping though.
Grabbed another on amazon for faster shipping and good measure while I sort stuff out more.

Panels output last 180 days and today was 128-14x voc. Typical voc 140, working around 12x.x with mppt compression. Some occasional high vocs in am, clear in 1-2min. And yes they are cleaned with hot water and soap by hand last week or two.

Actually four inverters but not all at once, in a matter of weeks. Only one when I plugged in load. Others just gave up. The one cheepo 600w still kind works charges phone and 3.5w led lights.

I agree with your gut. Think controller, array voltage is too high. Been working over 10 years though, same one, had four or five I can remember.

No breaker or combiner between arrays, were all different setups.

Yep, I do. Trying for 10-20% DOD as always. Getting it down is hard but 48v china is now discharging 4 evenly so seeing some 49 and 48's is good but takes a dozen small loads most of night to accomplish. It won't start more than maybe a five watt load at a time but will run more if added <5w each time. Jeez.

Back