diy solar

diy solar

SWCC Certified Wind Turbines - Be Careful

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
So I went down a road today.

SWCC lets manufacturers self certify.

The FAA let Boeing self certify the 737 Max and we all know how that turned out.

If you're one of the folks that throws out the SWCC certification as something to look for please do some more research before you inadvertently result in someone wasting 1000's of dollars on a piece dynamic yard art.

After personally being involved in several dozen small turbine installations that were miserable failures my sniff detector for small wind really started going off. All of those turbines were SWCC certified and yes, they were all installed correctly, etc.. So I've been on a kick since then to figure out why so many people get bamboozled by commercial small wind.

Here's what I just found out. This is directly from SWCC website.

icon

Does ICC-SWCC test wind turbines?
ICC-SWCC does not conduct tests, but verifies and certifies test results submitted by approved testing organizations. Applicants should obtain ICC-SWCC approval for the use of a testing facility before commencing work to ensure that the resulting test report can be used for ICC-SWCC certification.

4) Testing
Applicants who have not already conducted testing, may choose to use testing laboratories that are accredited or non-accredited to ISO 17025 or conduct the testing themselves (subject to ICC-SWCC requirements). Non-accredited testing organizations must agree to the required ICC-SWCC test site evaluation. The test site evaluation involves an in-person inspection of the testing fixtures, sensors and procedures once the turbine is installed at the test site and ready for testing. Test site evaluations are conducted by ICC-SWCC staff or qualified designees. The applicant is responsible for fees and costs associated with the test site evaluation. All testing must comply with the applicable standard (AWEA 9.1) and ICC-SWCC Policies. All testing costs will be the responsibility of the certification applicant and must be paid directly to the testing laboratory.

Last edited:
Back