diy solar

diy solar

Switch between 2 AC sources

jt_retro

Hey Folks,

I have a DC circuit that I can flip its supply between a grid connected AC-DC PSU, and a DC feed from my solar system. I do this using a pre built board from eBay, which is basically just using diodes. Easy and safe to do at 12V DC. I use a wifi smart plug on the wall psu to switch between grid and solar for this circuit.

I have recently bought a plug in hybrid car. While I do not generate enough solar power to charge the car from empty to full, it would be nice if I had the option to flip its charger over to my solar inverter for a few minutes to use the car as a sort of dump load.

Does anyone know of a device that lets me switch between 2 AC sources remotely? I don't want to build something to do this at 240V AC.

Thanks!

Thanks but ideally it would be remotely switchable. I'd also need something at 240V.

i think you would need to look at an ATS and perhaps sometjing like an ESP32/arduino or raspberry to do the "logic"

there are a number of (rather inexpensive ) ATS'es made by tomzn ( alibaba) that should be able to do this

i have been look at these ones :

Hey Folks,

I have a DC circuit that I can flip its supply between a grid connected AC-DC PSU, and a DC feed from my solar system. I do this using a pre built board from eBay, which is basically just using diodes. Easy and safe to do at 12V DC. I use a wifi smart plug on the wall psu to switch between grid and solar for this circuit.

I have recently bought a plug in hybrid car. While I do not generate enough solar power to charge the car from empty to full, it would be nice if I had the option to flip its charger over to my solar inverter for a few minutes to use the car as a sort of dump load.

Does anyone know of a device that lets me switch between 2 AC sources remotely? I don't want to build something to do this at 240V AC.

Thanks!
You want something like this https://www.amazon.com/TWTADE-JQX-62F-2Z-Voltage-Electronmagnetic-Relay/dp/B07FCJ39QR/

You want a DPDT relay capable of handling 250v with a 12v coil, with each throw of the relay capable of handling max amperage. Some DPDT relays have a 10:1 rating on the NC or NO position.

The no-power position would put have the vehicle connected to grid AC while energizing the coil w/ 12v would switch it to the alternate power source.

Back