diy solar

diy solar

Switch Only Has Positive Imput Post Screws

Nica McNeil

I finally settled on this Blue Sea switch for switching between solar panels and bench charger. But now I have a new concern...the switch only has post screws for the positive wires (one pos input from panels, one pos input from bench charger with one pos output to charger controller). There are 2 negative wires (one from panel and one from bench charger) .. There is only 1 negative input on the charge controls but I have 2 neg wires...eeek. What do I do with the extra negative wire? see atrached diagram

Blue Sea Systems Mini Battery Switch, MFG# 6007, Red, 300A Cont, 500A int, 32VDC. Positions: 1-2-off-both. / BS-6007 / https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF0PDO...abc_B6SXW6XWE2DK7HW7YSS3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20210826_173601.jpg
    20210826_173601.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 7
You can connect both negative wires to the charge controller's negative terminal. But that does depend on the type of connection on the charge controller. What kind of connection is it?

Is the Negative (or positive) output of the bench power supply connected internally to the safety ground of the AC plug? You can use Ohm meter to find that out.
I ask because if it is connected then you may want to find out if the PV Negative input of the SCC can be tied to ground or not.

You can connect both negative wires to the charge controller's negative terminal. But that does depend on the type of connection on the charge controller. What kind of connection is it?
The connection terminal is shown in the attached image with a red arrow. Both negative wires can fit. That isn't a big concern. I am concerned that the electrons that are traveling back on the negative wire in either the solar panel circuit or the bench charger circuit will try to go back to the wrong equipment if both are on the same connection termjnal. But I maybe over thinking this with rudimentary high school science from long, long ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-233929_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-233929_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
Is the Negative (or positive) output of the bench power supply connected internally to the safety ground of the AC plug? You can use Ohm meter to find that out.
I ask because if it is connected then you may want to find out if the PV Negative input of the SCC can be tied to ground or not.
There are three prongs on the bench chargers's AC plug, which makes me think that it's grounded via the AC plug. The SCC will be groundedto the van chasis. So neither the direct current PV nor SSC will be tied to the alternation current bench charger plug.

The connection terminal is shown in the attached image with a red arrow. Both negative wires can fit. That isn't a big concern. I am concerned that the electrons that are traveling back on the negative wire in either the solar panel circuit or the bench charger circuit will try to go back to the wrong equipment if both are on the same connection termjnal. But I maybe over thinking this with rudimentary high school science from long, long ago.
Electrons will only flow from the negative terminal , through the load , to the positive terminal of its own supply , thereby completing the circuit.

Back