diy solar

diy solar

SWITCHING

robbymax

robbymax
and I am a solar engineer and in the past I have been using two separate contactors to switch from mains to inverter power and it switches fine, but there is a time delay between one and the other and things like TV, computers, and other appliances see the delay and switch off, it is only for a Millie second but they are off and a lot of things have to reboot. So switching from mains to inverter power has got to be seamless so a very fast switching system is needed.

I need a contactor to be connected to mains in deactivation mode, and over to inverter power when activated 1 contactor doing both jobs and as fast as possible can you help

Last edited:
I'm off-grid and my ATSs (240v@50a level) switch twice daily and I have exactly what you describe. I use APC UPS circuits for all my sensitive equipment because I don't know of a solution. Will follow this thread with interest :)

That is why there are solutions like a multiplus.

An external ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is availabe from eg APC to switch between power feeds, but it all gives a short interrupt.

That is also why enterprice UPSses are online UPSses: They have no switching interrupt at all. (Basicly AC -> DC/batter -> AC). Also acts as power stabilizer, but it does have off course lower efficieny than only swithing on power failures.

solar engineer
Did you get this solved out?
I’m curious if you elected to go go with a ups or if you opted fo go with a samlex/top tier system or one of the commodity units like mpp that advertise a zero transfer time?

A transfer switch is designed to complete the switch in milliseconds, to avoid this issue.
A contactor is not.
Just use the proper equipment for the job.

I also use smaller "office" UPS units on my computer, modems, and routers. I don't even use a set of contactors, I'm super old-school and have to manually hook everything up to the batteries during an outage. My transfer time is in the ~5 min range, and the UPS's work great.

The only two options I see are to use a fast transfer switch (or AIO unit) or an independent UPS.

Back