diy solar

diy solar

System low voltage disconnect device

PleaseHelpMeI'mLost

So my 3500 watt inverter has a low voltage shutdown at 10.5v. However I don’t want to run my system down that low before it shuts off. I’ve been looking around for an external low voltage disconnect device but all the ones I’ve seen are small and intended for low amperage applications. I’m wondering if I could possibly take one of those devices and somehow wire it to the control on a heavy duty relay so that the main current will not flow to the low voltage disconnect device and fry it. Alternatively if you guys know of a adjustable low voltage disconnect device that can handle higher amperage, that would be great! Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes you can wire that to a contactor which could handle high Amperage and be fail save because the contactor would have to be always on..Best to find a contactor that has economizer circuit.

I'm currently using an old epever tracer mppt (without solar connected) to function as a voltage sensing switch via the load terminals to switch on mains charging at 12v and off at 14v (you need to set the boost reconnect value 0.1v higher than the lvr)

I've used those cheap adjustable voltage sensing relays from ebay but found them to be unreliable.

My Renogy 2000 watt and I think also the 3000 watt one also have programable battery voltage cut off settings. Note this is the low frequency model not the cheaper ones.

you can use o rectifier diode until you will find a good device for disconect
in this case when the inverter will stop (10.5v) you will have arround 11.2v at the battery.
that diode must be rated for high current

So my 3500 watt inverter has a low voltage shutdown at 10.5v. However I don’t want to run my system down that low before it shuts off. I’ve been looking around for an external low voltage disconnect device but all the ones I’ve seen are small and intended for low amperage applications. I’m wondering if I could possibly take one of those devices and somehow wire it to the control on a heavy duty relay so that the main current will not flow to the low voltage disconnect device and fry it. Alternatively if you guys know of a adjustable low voltage disconnect device that can handle higher amperage, that would be great! Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

I think your plan to wire it through a high amperage relay or contactor is the best. To make it fail safe use a relay that is normally open. That is how most contactors operate so if something goes wrong the battery is disconnected.

Back