diy solar

diy solar

System Purchase Advice?

HomesteadDad

I have already bought 16 used 235 watt panels. I will be using 4-6 of them on my skoolie build, and the balance on my off grid side system. I am planning on buying the new EG4 inverter as well as one of their 48v 100ah batteries. My question is, should I buy a second battery now? I will be using it to power my pole barn where I have a refrigerator, 2 freezers, as well as tools when I have the power. Our well pump is also in our barn, so when grid power goes down I will run that as well. I also think with inflation, cash isn't going to gain any value so there is no reason to save it currently. Our electric usage varies from 30-80 KWHs throughout the year. Eventually it would be great to run a whole separate system to run our entire house and only use grid when necessary.

Also, I have a friend who is buying an inverter and battery at the same time to save on shipping so if I add another battery I get the EG4 battery rack for free. $500 value. With 26% tax incentive I'm leaning toward two batteries. Stupid idea, or should I go for it?

Back