diy solar

diy solar

System upgrade questions

altego

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some advice on a potential system upgrade; I am located in Australia, and so have 240VAC, my house has 3 phase power, but for some reason only two of the phases are plugged into the main circuit breaker, I haven't tested the "loose" phase, but lets assume its live.

My current system is a Fronius IG20 with 12x Sharp 167w panels, I reckon they are 10-15 years old. My daily average usage is between 10kw and 15kw (depending on summer with AC vs winter without AC).

I have been looking at possibly investing in a battery system using a hybrid inverter.

Am I right in saying that these hybrid inverters require a dedicated backup circuit for "stuff" that you want battery backed? And therefore unless you have a huge inverter and huge battery system you have to be selective about what you want battery backed?

I kinda just assumed that the hybrid inverter would be like a normal inverter where it supplies as much as it can to the house, and the grid supplies the rest (or feed in to grid if your in excess)... Maybe this is just applicable to the inverter that I'm looking at? (Sungrow)

If I do split the house into "battery backed loads" vs "not" (i.e. basically everything is battery backed except electric-oven, induction cook-top and reverse cycle AC units), then does 3 phase even matter? ie Wouldn't it just be easier to get a single phase inverter?

I have more questions, but lets see how we go with these ones first :)

Thanks in advance :)

Back