diy solar

diy solar

Tacklife solder sleeves: Gimmick or next best thing?

Gimmick or next best things?

• Total voters

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else

Not really a new concept, just wondering if anyone uses them and prefers them.

I have not used one of these so my 'meh' vote is a bit uneducated. I do admit it looks interesting for signal wires (I would not use them for a high current wire). Maybe if I tried a few I might change my mind.

The thing is, I don't use butt connectors very often When I can I will replace the whole length of wire rather than do a but connection. (Admittedly there are times where that is impractical and a butt connector is called for, but it does not happen often in the projects I do.) I just did a *very* brief search for the equivalent for lugs or ring terminals and did not see any..... but that may only mean I did not look hard enough.

I have used them. They work well and leave a moisture proof seal on the wires which is important around here where it rains all the time, except today.

nothing new at all, been around for ages...
I have them and use them for low voltage signal wires where I will have to have a connection in a wet place and cannot replace the entire wire.

I’ve tried these and the biggest issue is not the sleeve itself, it’s damage to the insulation of the two wires where they enter the sleeve. A little too much from the heat gun and you end up with a mess. Then there is the question of the solder joint — is it fully wetted? Hard to tell under that foggy plastic goo.

I vote gimmic.

I have to wonder what type of solder is being used. To melt from just a heat gun, is it a low temp solder? Is that any good?

I have no soldered connections in my RV trailer. I'm lousy at soldering, so a butt connector is my connection method of choice when I have to join two wires.

Not really a new concept, just wondering if anyone uses them and prefers them.
I have used them for low current applications. I never use butt connectors. As an electronics technician, I can tell you a crimp, as well as a solder connection, is just designed to keep the copper conductors connected. A butt connector does not do that as the copper does not contact.
dmh

Back