diy solar

diy solar

Tales of the permit gestapo, how much did it cost and how was the process?

32 volt boater

Solar Enthusiast
I would think the worst part is worrying that when those city hall home invaders come to check out the solar they search for any other violation$ they can find.

Fun fact,

Does Houston really have no zoning laws?

The City of Houston does not have zoning, but development is governed by ordinance codes that address how property can be subdivided. The City codes do not address land use.

Houston does have building codes though so you don't get a free ride to do anything you want. Lived in Missouri City, SW of Houston proper and never noticed a particular problem though. Texas is interesting from a property rights standpoint. Almost none of the land comes with <edit> mineral rights. Those bought up by the oil and mineral exploration companies years ago.

I've found you hope you don't get an absolute nazi and that there's room for give and take. In my last inspection after a permitted improvement, the inspector started to write up something unrelated. I politely and gently pointed out that that wasn't part of the renovation and not covered under the permit. He signed off on the permit inspection and then give me a warning about the item in question reminding me that any renovations to that part of the house would require it be be brought up to code.

God help those who live in HOA communities like The Villages. Their HOA rules are on-line and I've scanned them, specifically about ham radio antennas. I'm afraid to even drive by the place. I guess it keeps the busy body retirees something to do. My subdivision's Covenant and Restrictions expired 20 years ago. With out mandatory rules, home values have more than doubled since then. Turns out people really do like buying into subdivisions without HOAs.

Last edited:
To answer the question posted
utility app fee $50
Fire dept review $100
County building dept $250

Submitted well detailed prints/product submittals making sure EVERYTHING on their check list was included and had no troubles.

A couple hours north of Detroit

City/Township building and electrical permits $400
Utility Connection and Net Metering Fee paid to power company $100

The city inspector came out three times to inspect. Adding up the time he spent here from all three visits came to a grand total of about six minutes. Of that six minutes, four of them were spent getting into and out of his car and walking the 100 feet to the project.

The electrical guy spent about 5 minutes here on his single visit.

The utility guy was here for about 30 minutes because he had to reprogram my meter and then run some tests.

$450 in California
My project also involved a new main service panel and service entrance.

Once I the main house electrical was done the PV portion was very quick. He was hesitant to even go check the roof, almost rubber stamped it.

Houston does have building codes though so you don't get a free ride to do anything you want. Lived in Missouri City, SW of Houston proper and never noticed a particular problem though. Texas is interesting from a property rights standpoint. Almost none of the land comes with <edit> mineral/mining rights. Those bought up by the oil and mineral exploration companies years ago.

I've found you hope you don't get an absolute nazi and that there's room for give and take. In my last inspection after a permitted improvement, the inspector started to write up something unrelated. I politely and gently pointed out that that wasn't part of the renovation and not covered under the permit. He signed off on the permit inspection and then give me a warning about the item in question reminding me that any renovations to that part of the house would require it be be brought up to code.

God help those who live in HOA communities like The Villages. Their HOA rules are on-line and I've scanned them, specifically about ham radio antennas. I'm afraid to even drive by the place. I guess it keeps the busy body retirees something to do. My subdivision's Covenant and Restrictions expired 20 years ago. With out mandatory rules, home values have more than doubled since then. Turns out people really do like buying into subdivisions without HOAs.

HOA can not prevent or regulate ham radio antennas. While there are some minor and insignificant exceptions, they can not stop you from putting an antenna up.

HOA can not prevent or regulate ham radio antennas. While there are some minor and insignificant exceptions, they can not stop you from putting an antenna up.
Well then maybe you'll pay the legal fees for those hams down in The Villages. Most have tunable verticals disguised as a flag pole.

Actually you may be thinking of PRB-1 which isn't of any great help. First it only applies to government agencies, not HOA's or C&Rs which are considered private contracts. Here's a quote from ARRL:

"PRB-1 is not a "cure all," and it cannot help if you are faced with a covenant or other deed restriction problems. "

Secondly, even with government agencies, they may still, again from the ARRL about PRB-1:

"Local authorities may adopt regulations pertaining to placement, screening, or height of antennas, if such regulations are based on health, safety, or aesthetic considerations"

Bringing this back around to Solar, C&Rs and city/county zoning can do pretty much what ever the elected officials allow them to do. Including mandating setbacks and not allowing solar panels to be visible from the street. Some states have enacted legislation to mitigate such.

Last edited:
Back