diy solar

diy solar

Talk me out of the Victron 3,000va inverter

the only thing i see is do you want this , and or this . so let me ask how good are you at this?
Those two diagrams are not an equal comparison at all. The left one has an AIO and nothing else. The right one would only be equivalent if it had just a single charge controller and a single MultiPlus. But that right diagram has a lot more components than that. What point are you really trying to make here with two completely different and unequal setups?

Tiny home 24volt system
3,000 watts of panels
Midnite classic 150 cc.
A very basic set up with only about six outlets, no need for 220v.
Thoughts?

3000W PV / 24V = 125A
Midnight 150 @ 28.7V (for 24V system) = 2350 to 2700W, 94A max

Those are reasonably matched. With PV strings of a couple orientations you can reduce peak to where no clipping occurs.

How large a battery? If lithium with 0.5C charge limit, 94A / 0.5 = 188 Ah minimum.
Thing is, if battery temperature is cold, max current without damage is reduced. In that case you could be better off setting a lower charge current.

If you use all Victron equipment instead of a Midnight charge controller, then with battery shunt and the right other Victron monitoring and control equipment, the Victron charge controller can deliver all available current when inverter needs it, but throttle back when not needed, so battery charge current is limited to desired rate.

Yeah I’m not good at this, looking for simple but effective and cost efficient, at least as much as possible
i am a component level tech. and this is not the tubes or the tvs i repaired so. i kept it simple for me used panels for cost savings and new growatt for the easy way it is wired. where are you in doing all the wiring is what i kinda asked .. i am old enough when you bought a stereo it was parts components or a whole thing. kinda the same thing here.. i went easy . old man

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 2
3000W PV / 24V = 125A
Midnight 150 @ 28.7V (for 24V system) = 2350 to 2700W, 94A max

Those are reasonably matched. With PV strings of a couple orientations you can reduce peak to where no clipping occurs.

How large a battery? If lithium with 0.5C charge limit, 94A / 0.5 = 188 Ah minimum.
Thing is, if battery temperature is cold, max current without damage is reduced. In that case you could be better off setting a lower charge current.

If you use all Victron equipment instead of a Midnight charge controller, then with battery shunt and the right other Victron monitoring and control equipment, the Victron charge controller can deliver all available current when inverter needs it, but throttle back when not needed, so battery charge current is limited to desired rate.
As for batteries
I have 2, 280ah 24v lithium
Or it would be 4 12 volt batteries
16 cells

As for batteries
I have 2, 280ah 24v lithium
Or it would be 4 12 volt batteries
16 cells

94A charge current / 560 Ah = 0.17C charge rate.

From the various battery vendor's charts below, most restrictive allow 0.12C down to 2 degrees C.
Maybe no need to limit charge current. I would suggest adjusting BMS low-temperature charge disconnect to 5 or maybe 10 degrees C rather than default 0 degrees C.

I think 0.17C is a reasonable rate, should fully recharge a battery on a sunny day. For someone with smaller battery in relation to PV size I would have suggested using Victron settings to reduce charge current to about what you've got.
If you added more PV and charge controller, so you could fully charge the battery in one day while also powering loads, that is what I would suggest (which Victron scc makes possible, but not Midnight.)

You can probably add 50% more PV to that charge controller without clipping of half are oriented South West and half South East (90 degree angle between them.) That would produce more in summer, not so much in winter when you really need it, because sun isn't up as many hours.

I went with a Multiplus II 12/3000/120x2 because it was such an easy install in my 50A 5th wheel. I had a system with a sub panel and 2 inverters and a converter/charger and what a PITA to remember how it all works. With the MPII, I don't care. Just isn't anything else that I know of that works so well with a 50A RV system.

Then I got the blue fever. I didn't need to replace my 2 Rich Solar SCCs or add a Cerbo GX and display or replace my bus bars with a Lynx distributor. But now that it's done, I love it. One Panel to rule them all, One Panel to find them, One Panel to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Then I discovered the awesomeness of Power Share. Now I don't need to replace my 1800W genset with a bigger one. I could not run my a/c and residential fridge at the same time on my small genset. So I was looking at buying a bigger one. Ah geese, those things weigh 100+ lbs. Not something I can store in my front compartment like I do the small genset. Ok, so get a second small genset and parallel them, right? Now I have 2 gensets. With power share, I set the current limit to 14A and let the MPII fill in what it needs from the batteries. Works like a champ.

I don't think any of these benefits apply well to your use case. So unless you want to spend thousands more for a fancy display, I would just go with quality components. You already have one.

One thing you'll want to avoid is doing what I did: buy a bunch of other stuff only to realize what you really wanted was Victron. Now I have a lot of kit sitting in the garage waiting to be sold on Ebay. If I had just gone with Victron in the first place, I would have been out a lot less money.

Yes I do, curious about why you would recommend the Schneider?
They are simple, top tier, long lasting little rocks, but looking at the Victorn in the same class as you are suggesting, the price might be similar. So my suggestion might fall short. But I do have the Classic 150 / Conext SW4024 combo and it works well together.

They are simple, top tier, long lasting little rocks, but looking at the Victorn in the same class as you are suggesting, the price might be similar. So my suggestion might fall short. But I do have the Classic 150 / Conext SW4024 combo and it works well together.
Yes I am liking the Schneider, with its split phase I can also run my well, which I hadn’t figured out how I was going to do that.
Could I get some info on your system and pics?

Yes I am liking the Schneider, with its split phase I can also run my well, which I hadn’t figured out how I was going to do that.
Lots of info in the Solar Water Pumps forum section
You should check out https://diysolarforum.com/forums/solar-water-pumps.14/

I was thinking of upgrading my system at some point to output 220v for my well pump in case of a prolonged grid outage.
After my visit there I decided it was easier and more cost effect to replace the 230V 1/2hp pump with a soft start 120v Grundfos pump.

anyway, there's much to see there and it should help.

In my signature here is a link to my whole build and parts list from start to finish

Some really good suggestion in there for the OP, and anyone else in a similar situation. And the comment about the Conext is a good one too. Just in case it was missed....if Ul listing matters, that is going to eliminate Victron unless they buy the specific Victron 12v or 24v unit that happens to be approved. I'd suggest these people read a LOT of comments on Victron and Schneider and see what people are saying. You don't tend to see many listings about Samlex except by Steve. I wish they had a 48v version of the EVO.
:)

Some really good suggestion in there for the OP, and anyone else in a similar situation. And the comment about the Conext is a good one too. Just in case it was missed....if Ul listing matters, that is going to eliminate Victron unless they buy the specific Victron 12v or 24v unit that happens to be approved. I'd suggest these people read a LOT of comments on Victron and Schneider and see what people are saying. You don't tend to see many listings about Samlex except by Steve. I wish they had a 48v version of the EVO.
:)
So… you were kind of vague. Would you prefer the Schneider?

So… you were kind of vague. Would you prefer the Schneider?
Not that you were asking me, but 4 years ago (long before the AOI revolution), the options were pretty much outback, samlax, cotek, Schneider and maybe victron. What pull me towards the Schneider SW was
1. Price (especially because most or all needed some kind of display /control panel as extra)
2. UL 1741 listed
3. 240v split phase. Some you could do it with but like in the case of outback would require 2 inverters
4. Wattage and surge
5. Warranty
6. Ease of install. Midnite solar makes an ePanel for just about every major brand, but some are cheaper than others
7. Large transformer / low frequency because I needed to start a well pump
8. Load shaving and grid support mode (different brands call it different things - but basically grid interactivity)
9. A built in AC charger

I have been nothing but happy with the SW especially since I worked through some of its quirks

Back