diy solar

diy solar

Tapping power from a free EV charging station for charging lifePo4 batteries.

Thomas Barlow

Hey everyone I noticed there are lots of free EV charging stations that are usually empty at night. I was wondering if I could tap power from one of these stations and have it charge my RV house batteries? 240V 30A would be so nice on cloudy days because my 1260w array on the roof is just not doing it lately.

These units have a data sticker on the side stating the output parameters but I was wondering does the station output power like a wall receptacle or is the cable dead until the car tells the station to turn on?

Would I need software to extract power from the station or is it just live similar to a wall receptacle?

I cannot find a single thing online about this..... Hoping yall can spread some light on this topic.
IMG_20210919_103701594.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_103711621.jpg
    IMG_20210919_103711621.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 5
Wiki has a basic description. You will need a proper pilot signal to enable power to come through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772
Man that is crazy complicated all of the different ways it uses to communicate. It's surprising that any of that stuff's reliable considering it runs on Resistance values.

So say I wanted to make my own 12 volt DIY electric vehicle, I wonder what I could use to how charge it via the SAE J17722?

Back