diy solar

diy solar

TechLuck electric/solar hybrid hot water heater?

Vern1

Greetings,
Has anyone else looked into one of these.
I am thinking about going this way since my house is old and already has a newer 50 gallon tank electric heater.
No plumbing required.
I plan to feed it with 4 used 245watt 24v panels.
Tech Luck Hybrid Hot Water Heater

Last edited:
I think this is the same type device. Real world use. Good stuff time mark.

Post install follow up.

I've been following these for a while and will be my next step.
I will use the same used solar panels off of ebay that I used on the install of my ElectroDacus as they have proven themselves.
Just gotta pay off some stuff first.

While I have a grid tie system that makes more than I use (most months) I also have some used panels that are idle. I am working to use them to both charge some standby batteries and to heat water, or dump heat into the house during winter. I am not sure how I will connect to the water heater. I have a pre-heat water heater already as part of my geothermal heat pump. Since there is no power connected to the heater, I have freedom to do whatever without any system degradation. I might start with direct connection of 2 panels in series on the two elements and see what load that is generated.

You can get a good indication of peak watts into the tank with ohms law. Calculate the resistance (R) of your elements with your AC supply voltage (V) and total wattage ( P ), R = V * V / P. Then you can work out the peak heating power (P) you could do at your array's Vmp (V) with P = V * V / R. Apply time to get watt hours, and work out a fudge factor to take into account varying power production as the sun moves across the sky. Of course, the current available from the array also comes into play. The voltage into the element may permit 10 amps to flow, but if the panels can only produce 5 amps, that's all you'll get.

If you aren't using something to keep your panels near Vmp you'll have to size your element carefully otherwise power into the tank will plummet as the panels move off Vmp.

If you can't get enough voltage to make it feasible, but you do have the total wattage, a crude voltage doubler might be viable. It does require some know-how using FETs etc but the basic concept is charge a parallel bank of capacitors to what ever voltage then split the bank into 2 smaller banks arrange them in series, which doubles the voltage, then apply that to the element(s). This requires more thought with respect to DC appearing on the thermostat contacts. I have seen people trying to use boost converters but they are fighting uphill when a simpler solution is available.

The techluck board takes care of the DC aspect by chopping the voltage on the output so that there is always a 0 volt point happening within a reasonable time to quench arcs, similar to AC operation.

Working out power required to heat water is easy, l x 4 x c / 3412 = kWh required, where l = volume of water in litres, and c = temperature change required to raise water to what you need.

Last edited:
This is getting closer to the idea I have in my head for what type of device should be in our homes.

In my head, we should have a heavily insulated tank of water heated by the sun that just acts as a thermal battery. The goal should be to get this water up near 190 degrees during the day using prime solar hours and store that heat for use later. When we need hot water, we push water through a heat exchange element inside this thermal battery to get our hot water.

At first, I saw this thermal battery as a big tank that had water pumped up to the roof so it could be heated by the sun. With the price of solar panels having dropped so much, I think this is now overly complicated and risky - there is always a risk of a leak with moving water. Now, I think this device should literally just be two heating elements inside a very big tank that is super insulated. One of the heating elements is powered purely by solar panels. The second heating element is the backup and is either powered by grid electricity or natural gas and it only kicks on when there is no solar power coming in and the water drops below a certain temperature.

There used to be a brand of water heater made in Australia, Saxon. They made heat exchanger style heaters. Tank was open to air, ie not pressurised, with indirect electric heater. The mains pressurise water flowed in a coil of copper pipe in the tank to pick up the heat from the heated water. They were great, full copper tank and lasted for decades. They could be adapted to solar thermal simply by hooking up an unpressurised loop using the tank drain plug as the cold side and hot side on the filler so you didn't have to worry about the heating loop failing and spraying water every which way. If the heated water ever got too cool, the electric element could step in and boost the temperature back up. You could even attach a heat collector to one instead of solar thermal and pick up heat from a wood stove etc.

They eventually lost to vitreous enamel tanks etc and went bust.

I've been looking for an easier solution for some time.

I've built collectors with copper tube and sheet metal surface and while they worked pretty well, the biggest problem has always been water related.
The easiest one to make and install was a simple open loop system that used a low outlet and high inlet in the water heater and worked by thermo syphon.
The down side was the collector was pressurized and when freezing weather came around and would freeze the collector overnight and lots of plumbing involved with potential leaks.
I looked into a closed loop system using copper where you removed the insulation from the tank and wrapped copper around the tank then reinsulated it and re-wrap it with thin sheet metal using the same type of collector filled with 50/50 water antifreeze.

I then started searching for something that used PV to solve the freezing issue.
I looked at various over priced DC elements and the problems related to that.

The TechLuck solution seems to be the best for me but I haven't implemented yet and continue to search for others.

All my excess solar goes into an insulated hot water tank with a 3000 liter capacity (not pressurized) using a heating element. Heat exchangers take cycle the heat from this thermal battery for regular hot water needs and underfloor radiant heating. The rest of the tank is heated as needed with a wood burner.

All my excess solar goes into an insulated hot water tank with a 3000 liter capacity (not pressurized) using a heating element. Heat exchangers take cycle the heat from this thermal battery for regular hot water needs and underfloor radiant heating. The rest of the tank is heated as needed with a wood burner.

This has been my "Plan C" approach - using a rocket stove as the last resort heat element for the water.

I need the wood burner in winter since I practically don't have any sun (I'm at 63 degrees north), but I have plenty of wood. Wood processing is done with electric tools in summer when I have excess power as well, so no fuel used for saws, splitters, etc.

I have been using 3 / 320w panels wired directly to a 4500w lower element since March 2019.The panels face west and in the summer I was getting 180 degree hot water. As the days got shorter and the sun lower, temperatures have been decreasing but still good for two people.

Greetings,
I am thinking about going this way since my house is old and already has a newer 50 gallon tank electric heater.
No plumbing required.
I have been using one for a couple months... I have 2 365 watt panels.. on average 80 watts with 6amps... My incoming water temp is 52 degrees and these two panels during winter get me close to 100 degrees in a 50 gallon tank... I'm going to add some panels shortly, which will easily get me to 130 degrees... I have the upper element on a light switch so if we need more water turn it on for 20 minutes and your good to go....Summer time I'm hoping no grid at all....

So I'm resurrecting this thread because it best matches what i would like to achieve without starting a new one.

I am able to get solar panels cheep, used and removed off grid tie systems, 50 bucks a pop for 250w (they get scrapped otherwise).
I wish to slap together something low power, cheap and nasty, to harness some free supplemental heating energy for my spa to make it just a little more comfortable without using the mains 3kw heater.
The mentioned Techluck product seems to fit the purpose, but currently no availability and the price (300USD+post by the time i get it to Australia) seems to defeat the purpose.
Is there some other similar/cheaper product available that serves the same purpose without having a battery, or easily DIY?
Should i just find a basic MPPT solar charge controller (with low voltage cutoff), slap 2 x 250w panels to it, connect it to a cheap battery and a 12v 250w heater. and call it a day. I can probably achieve that for under 300 bucks total ($100 panels, $100 MPPT solar charge controller, $80 battery $20 heater).

Attachments

• 106613988_708078993091638_2281890473887693456_n.jpg
    106613988_708078993091638_2281890473887693456_n.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 4
Easy is in the mind of the beholder. Techluck won't work well with under 4 panels and from what I have heard they may not be anymore. There are other ways to match panels to elements. Your cheapest bet would just to buy more panels and place them in parallel such that there is far more current available than from panels than the heating element can absorb. That will give more heating in lower light conditions and more consistant heating. A fixed resistance really drags panel voltage down at even moderately high panel currents.

Greetings,
No plumbing required.
It cost $275.00 from techluck....Plus I used 4 250watt panels at $43.00 each shipping included.... My water temperature yesterday was 141 degrees.... In the summer I have not needed to use the upper element... Two people taking daily shower and washing machine for clothes or dishes all free... In the winter I had to turn on the upper element for ten minutes almost every day... But my electric bill is down $40 to $50 a month... The owner of techluck is a great guy...and backs his controller...

It's an expensive item for what it does, but it's an easy to implement thing. No need to fiddle with the thermostat in the water heater nor do anything dumb like pass constant DC over it. Just hook up to the heater's AC terminals, stack enough panels in series on the device's input to reach the required voltage for the element vs power you wish to inject into the tank and it will float the array at Vmp varying the duty cycle of the DC to the heater. Bring paper panel current towards the possible heater current at Vmp to get more watts into the tank.

Generally Ive found the only people that poo-poo them are people that don't understand how to use them.

My water temperature yesterday was 141 degrees...
I run my HPWH at 135 degrees to store energy but I use a tempering valve at the top of the tank to be sure no one gets scalded. Higher temps increase the tanks capacity virtually in terms of Therms or whatever is the correct term for stored heat.

in terms of Therms or whatever is the correct term for stored heat

You can also just use kWh:
energy_stored_water_kwh.png

Or if you prefer, BTU:

energy_stored_water-btu.png

Source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/energy-storage-water-d_1463.html

since the techluck device is no longer available, and in my mind too expensive for what it is, i've been extensively looking for alternatives.

i found this, with propper docimentation, unfortunatly i lack the soldering skills to create this.

however, for someone that is, it could be a very neat solution :

it arduino based, and can be used with 2 seperate elements, indivually monitored

Back