diy solar

diy solar

Tell me about SolArk.

The new rule I've seen doesn't require 3' walkway on both sides of face with panels if opposite face has suitable walkway.
What used to be 3' below ridge is now 18" on either side of ridge.

It's not a place to enter the building, it's a place to hack a vent with an axe, to let smoke and heat out.

Well... It has begun!

The panels, SolArk, and hardware were delivered this morning and the guys are on the roof installing the clamps now.

They are saying it will be a 2-day install. Especially because we are expecting outer bands from tropical storm Eta to come through today.

I'm working from home, so I hope to go out and take pics of the process as it happens.

Well... It has begun!

The panels, SolArk, and hardware were delivered this morning and the guys are on the roof installing the clamps now.

They are saying it will be a 2-day install. Especially because we are expecting outer bands from tropical storm Eta to come through today.

I'm working from home, so I hope to go out and take pics of the process as it happens.
That is orgasmic brother

Well... It has begun!

I would LOVE to see some post-install pics when they get all done!

Here we go,
20201112_120003.jpg20201112_125758.jpg20201112_133743.jpg20201112_134825.jpg20201112_134835.jpg20201112_142109.jpg20201112_151902.jpg20201112_160153.jpg20201112_161607.jpg
Done for the day.
All but one panel is in place. The last one will cover the roof penetration and the wires leading to it.
Tomorrow is bringing the PV power in and installing the SolArk in my cabinet, here:
20201112_115945.jpg
Then tie it to the grid.

It turns out that my jurisdiction doesn't have a requirement for the 3ft walkway nor the RSD.
I need to look at the plans and make sure everything is going in per the spec.

It turns out that my jurisdiction doesn't have a requirement for the 3ft walkway nor the RSD.
I need to look at the plans and make sure everything is going in per the spec.
I noticed my neighbors don't have the 3' from the ridge on their newly installed solar panels.
Thanks for the pictures. I am interested too.

Mounted!
20201113_120226.jpg
These guys are doing a very professional job, but also very friendly. Letting me pop in and ask questions about everything.

I only took a couple pictures yesterday. Wiring is all up in the attic and all tucked in and well dressed. Not much to see.

Everything is ready for inspection. That is supposed to happen next week. After that, they will come out and install the load panel.

I talked with the GC. He said that my old A/C unit was too heavy of a load to put on the inverter. It's in the plan to replace it with a Daikin with the variable speed compressor, which has a low start surge. They will come out and wire it up once it is updated.

Musk was talking about some new highly efficient stackable A/C units.
When I get your installers to give me a quote, I will ask them about my A/C and other high load items.
I was originally planning to do my system in steps but I am leaning toward trying to get as much as possible done at once.
Of course, the ultimate goal is to have everything just keep working when the grid goes down.
I don't think I will get that but I should be getting close.

I only took a couple pictures yesterday. Wiring is all up in the attic and all tucked in and well dressed. Not much to see.

Everything is ready for inspection. That is supposed to happen next week. After that, they will come out and install the load panel.

I talked with the GC. He said that my old A/C unit was too heavy of a load to put on the inverter. It's in the plan to replace it with a Daikin with the variable speed compressor, which has a low start surge. They will come out and wire it up once it is updated.
I only put essential loads on the inverter, and my big appliances (like old A/Cs, heaters, etc) are still on the grid, and the inverter does battery grid sharing (like a slow, steady release).

But, of course, if you're completely off grid, that doesn't apply to you.

I only put essential loads on the inverter, and my big appliances (like old A/Cs, heaters, etc) are still on the grid, and the inverter does battery grid sharing (like a slow, steady release).

But, of course, if you're completely off grid, that doesn't apply to you.
My goal is to ultimately be grid agnostic. If a hurricane blows through, I want to not notice when the grid fails.

This first phase of the project is getting done to ensure I don't miss out on the tax incentives. We are due for a new A/C, so when it starts to give us problems, we'll install a high efficiency system that will run from the inverter.
The next phase will be to add several more panels and batteries to prepare for the addition of an electric vehicle. (this is an obvious inevitability)

With all the efficient appliances and features that I have implemented in our home, we should be able to keep our energy usage below the 12kW the SolArk can provide. The grid is just a convenient way to store excess energy I produce until the rest is put in place.

You could pick up a cheap or used window A/C that it is able to power, in order to have a comfortable room during grid failures if you haven't upgraded your central A/C yet.

Looks like the 12k Sol-Ark can provide 20kW surge (might start a modest size central A/C rated 4kW) and produces 8kW continuous. Can have 9.6kW of AC coupled string inverter added. If you were to add more panels and a string inverter, then available AC would peak at 17.6 kW. (but it is limited to 12kW feeding through its relay either direction.) With your West facing roof it would boost power available summer afternoons. Any PV production in excess of 12kW couldn't pass through to grid, would be curtailed.

You could pick up a cheap or used window A/C that it is able to power, in order to have a comfortable room during grid failures if you haven't upgraded your central A/C yet.

Looks like the 12k Sol-Ark can provide 20kW surge (might start a modest size central A/C rated 4kW) and produces 8kW continuous. Can have 9.6kW of AC coupled string inverter added. If you were to add more panels and a string inverter, then available AC would peak at 17.6 kW. (but it is limited to 12kW feeding through its relay either direction.) With your West facing roof it would boost power available summer afternoons. Any PV production in excess of 12kW couldn't pass through to grid, would be curtailed.

Just as a side thought... If you're running close to the max watts the Sol-Ark can provide, one could also looking at getting some certain appliances that operate on 48v directly, so those loads could run without inverting, keeping the inverter freed up for running all the other loads where only 240v/120v can realistically be provided.

Like for example, the mini-splits which operate on 48v natively: https://www.hotspotenergy.com/DC-air-conditioner/

That has been the backup plan for running on the generator for many years. I have a window shaker in the attic waiting to be called upon to keep the master bedroom comfortable.
The house is so well insulated, running the A/C at night generally keeps it cool inside until at least noon anyway. The radiant barrier does a great job of preventing heat from accumulating in the attic.
Just as a side thought... If you're running close to the max watts the Sol-Ark can provide, one could also looking at getting some certain appliances that operate on 48v directly, so those loads could run without inverting, keeping the inverter freed up for running all the other loads where only 240v/120v can realistically be provided.

Like for example, the mini-splits which operate on 48v natively: https://www.hotspotenergy.com/DC-air-conditioner/
I have seen those. I believe they are going to be a great solution for RVers who want to boondock.

I'll likely go with a Daikin or a Trane A/C. Still need to research the power requirements.

The new rule I've seen doesn't require 3' walkway on both sides of face with panels if opposite face has suitable walkway.
What used to be 3' below ridge is now 18" on either side of ridge.

It's not a place to enter the building, it's a place to hack a vent with an axe, to let smoke and heat out.
Which state are you speaking of.. or is this a national fire code rule change?

When is inspection? How did you handle rapid shutdown in the end?

Which state are you speaking of.. or is this a national fire code rule change?
I think that's one of the recent (2017? 2018?) national building codes, adopted by many states as of 2020. For instance:

I think it is in effect in my California location as well.

I don't have the codes at the tip of my fingers, usually google it when I'm trying to do something.
At least it is better now than when it was 3' on both sides and the top of my South-West facing roof.

Back