diy solar

diy solar

Tell Me If I'm Nuts!

Dewders24

I've built Will's solar generator for my off grid cabin use, and have been completely impressed with it. Being a newb, I recently had a great opportunity to pick up another LifePo4 100ah battery, so now I'd like to have just a battery with an inverter for use up there for short stays at the cabin without the the extras of the generator. I have a bench power unit for AC charging, and I'd like to pick up another pure sinewave inverter for using on appliances and other small items at the cabin. Is there anything wrong with my thinking? I've dialed in the PU for max voltage of 13.8V, and won't be charging unattended when it comes to top off the battery again.
I'm assuming I'm OK for fusing with the internals of the inverter as I'm merely powering simple equipment, and not running multiple items at once. Basically, a battery and the inverter in a milk crate.
Anything I'm missing??

Just make sure you’re using a true Pure Sine Wave inverter is my first thought

Anything I'm missing?
You should fuse the cable to the inverter at the battery. I’m interested to see what useful thing you do with this. I started w/ 200W of solar and some 8+ year old batteries with a 1200W pure sine inverter. It’s actually been fun making it work and seeing how much I can do with little.

Speaking of nuts, I’m going to try to make supper in a crock pot. Pretty certain my batteries will think I’m nuts.

No issues. It really is that simple.

Next will come solar for recharging while there and maintaining ready while you are away.

Be sure to turn off the inverter when you're not using it, they draw current when just sitting idle and can drain a battery pretty quickly.

they draw current when just sitting idle and can drain a battery pretty quickly.
They do have no-load consumption BUT I did put a clamp meter on mine the other day and the watts were so low at ‘idle’ I can’t even remember what it was.

My inverter has been on 24/7 since like April to run the fridge

My 3kW inverter has a 35 W standby drain, over 24 hours that adds up.

My 1kW inverter burns 10-11 W. Still significant after 24 hours.

Back