0526201808.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 78
  • 0526201808a.jpg
    0526201808a.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 0526201809.jpg
    0526201809.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 80
I just started a thread on this crimper last night. Crimp quality is good? Easy to use?

I think I am buying one of these also.

Last edited:
I just started a thread on this crimper last night. Crimp quality is good? Easy to use?

Crimp quality is good, adjustable from #8 up to 4/0, simple to use. I’ve done a bunch of #8, #4, and 2/0 so far and haven’t had a single loose crimp in the lot.

That is the one I am thinking about getting. I doubt if I will ever need to crimp bigger than 0000.
Same here, figuring that would take me up to anything I’ll be likely to do myself!

It works great on those big connectors. The smaller ones can be a little fiddly, and will only have room for one crimp, but it’s a big, solid crimp and that wire’s not going to pull out. I’m happy with it.

What do you guys think about this Temco tools (Hammer crimp type) vs hexagonal crimp ones?.

Theoretically the hexagonal should be better as they put equal pressure on all the walls, getting a near perfect crimp. The temco maybe aren't as good as the pressure isn't equal.

I got good results with a chinese 16ton one:

1592839179086.png

1592839586232.png

As you can see the wires are completely "melted" together.

Problem is the dies sometimes don't match with the lug sizes, so you need to guess and try to get the propper size, wasting some expensive lugs..

The Marine howto guy also mentions this problem, and he also doesn't like this "Hammer" type crimpers (Like temco), should be a good read:

i bought the one he recommends, FTZ 942984, looks good and you are suppose to get "Professional" level crimps... as ill be playing with 200A that should be good enough!

PD:

Temco also has hidraulic hexagonal crimp, has anyone testedthis?, if the dies are the correct size, its a pretty good option at 85USD:

1592841476707.png

Last edited:
That’s why I mentioned the single point crimp as I understand the theoretical advantages of a 360 degree crimp and it does make me wonder.

In the real world I haven’t found much evidence of a difference. Measurable resistance difference or heat generation under load would be telltales.

I’m too lazy/cheap to buy both and measure resistance.

I haven’t found any heat generation but I use 48v so the current is lower. YMMV.

I bought the TEMCo TH0005 - 11 US TON hydraulic crimper. Mine looks different (bigger) than the one pictured two posts up. The crimps are excellent and the tool is easy to use, if a bit heavy. There were a couple times that I would have liked to mount the crimper on a board so I had an extra hand free. Minor issue though.

The only issue I had with the dies was that the 2/0 die didn't crimp the TEMCo 2/0 lug onto the TEMCo 2/0 cable. Easy solution: Use the 1/0 die. No big deal. The 6 awg die was dead on.

If I had known it was this easy to make my own heavy duty cables, I would have been making cables years ago.

What do you guys think about this Temco tools (Hammer crimp type) vs hexagonal crimp ones?.

Theoretically the hexagonal should be better as they put equal pressure on all the walls, getting a near perfect crimp. The temco maybe aren't as good as the pressure isn't equal.

I got good results with a chinese 16ton one:

View attachment 15930

View attachment 15932

As you can see the wires are completely "melted" together.

Problem is the dies sometimes don't match with the lug sizes, so you need to guess and try to get the propper size, wasting some expensive lugs..

The Marine howto guy also mentions this problem, and he also doesn't like this "Hammer" type crimpers (Like temco), should be a good read:

i bought the one he recommends, FTZ 942984, looks good and you are suppose to get "Professional" level crimps... as ill be playing with 200A that should be good enough!

PD:

Temco also has hidraulic hexagonal crimp, has anyone testedthis?, if the dies are the correct size, its a pretty good option at 85USD:

View attachment 15934

I have this one and I like it very much (but I must confess I am not an expert). I measured electrical resistances < 0.1 mΩ between cable and terminal (that is the limit of my measurement) on 1/0 AWG cable. At 100 A this is 10 mV drop and 1 W loss per lug.

Back