diy solar

diy solar

Temperature de-rating of output from 48V Victron Phoenix Inverters - or any other inverters

Chris Down Under

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing a spare 48V off grid inverter of around 3000W to 5000W continuous output. I currently have a 48V Latronics 5000W inverter and it runs flawlessly in all conditions and has done so for years. Nothing lasts forever though. For those who are unaware, Latronics is an Australian manufactured inverter and they've been in business for decades.

Today I discovered that Latronics are discontinuing manufacture and supply of inverters in about two years time and are closing the facility down.

This presents something of a problem for me when considering what spare 48V off grid inverter to purchase.

The current Latronics 48V inverter operates at the rated output of 5000W until ambient air temperatures reach 104'F / 40'C. It has a peak output briefly of 15000W.

The specifications of the Victron Phoenix 48V 3000VA and 5000VA off grid inverters suggest that output derates as ambient air temperatures rise from about 77'F / 25'C onwards.

Summers Down Under can get hot, and the specifications for output declining as temperatures rise, don't leave me feeling comfortable that the inverters will work properly on hot days. So I'm curious as to what peoples experience with high ambient air temperatures and the inverter output performance with the Victron Phoenix inverter - or any inverter really - is like?

This has never been an issue for me with the Latronics unit, but it's sometimes the things you don't consider that cause you to come unstuck.

I'd appreciate the assistance with this matter.

Cheers

Chris

I have a 12v Phoenix inverter but haven’t yet been able to test its derating features. But I figure that Victron does that so the inverter will last for decades.

You might just want to buy another one or two Latronics while you still can and assume they will buy you another 15-30 years of service. Especially if you’re able to buy the exact same model you have now. The swap out will be quick and easy.

Back