diy solar

diy solar

Temporarily off grid inverter

Scottn

I’m building a new house and getting solar for it, rather than get a temporary power setup I’d like to use the solar to charge my makita batteries, and occasionally use a generator if Im running an air compressor. I’d rather not buy another inverter charger and use the main grid tie inverter I’ll need later. I plan on getting an sma sunny boy which has 2000w available when power is out. My question is will it work before it’s ever hooked up to the grid or will the software not let me for some reason

I’m building a new house and getting solar for it, rather than get a temporary power setup I’d like to use the solar to charge my makita batteries, and occasionally use a generator if Im running an air compressor. I’d rather not buy another inverter charger and use the main grid tie inverter I’ll need later. I plan on getting an sma sunny boy which has 2000w available when power is out. My question is will it work before it’s ever hooked up to the grid or will the software not let me for some reason
Im in ur exact position.

Have everything but stuck on deciding panels... and wiring.
- panels and cabling I will use on house build so looking UL for both.

For now, Im running gas generator but its loud and expensive. So what did to throw together a temp solar us:
- bought cheapo marine deep cycle lead-acid batteries
- bought several very cheap Chinese 24v inverters (super cheap basics off banggood.com)
- have like 7 controllers been messing with but looks like thats gonna be more expensive item to reuse

Honestly, Im so halted at panels, Ive thought about a temp 24v batt charger and keep running gen in daytime.

Just really doubting my DIY skills on panels. Voltage has changed. My sun power isnt normal and decided ground mount. Panels are aaarrghhh. Gonna need help on that.

Goof luck and update. Im gonna mark this post to watch

I was thinking I could use a generator if it needs to see grid power to set up or whatever it does, then shut it off to simulate a power outage, was hoping somebody had tried this already, contacted sma but havnt heard back yet

I was thinking I could use a generator if it needs to see grid power to set up or whatever it does, then shut it off to simulate a power outage, was hoping somebody had tried this already, contacted sma but havnt heard back yet
Most folk here seem to be grid-tie so Im sure many have. Im complete off-grid. Returned an inverter that had battery or grid option where grid meant generator or actual grid. (Seems thats what ur looking for?)

The inverter has the ability to give 2000w direct from the solar panels during black outs. Thats what I want to use until the house is done and hooked up to the grid. I’m just wondering if the inverter will let me do that or if it needs to see actual grid power to set up or boot up or whatever it does when you first turn it on. That or another cheap way to get 120v off my panels, would rather not buy much else because I’m buying the 6000w sma inverter anyway for grid tie later. The only thing I need to do is charge my makita batteries for my tools, I’d like to keep several plugged in and charging all day so I never run out

You can’t use a SMA Sunnyboy by itself for an offgrid supply.

What about hooking it up to a generator to simulate grid power then shutting the generator off the simulate a blackout ? Anybody tried this ?

Thank you, so what’s a good cheap set up for a small off grid, I’ll have 8 360ish watt panels anyway, just need a small inverter charger and a few batteries? Only need about 500 watts or so for 2 makita chargers, I gotta check the watts on them I dobt have them in me

You can’t use a SMA Sunnyboy by itself for an offgrid supply.
NOT TRUE......Read on....

On some models of the Sunny Boy grid tie inverter there is an option called SPS. Secure Power Supply. This is a factory installed option only, it cannot be retrofit. It is activated by a external spst toggle switch which allows one of the inverters to power an auxiliary outlet. this is limited to a 15 amp 120 volt single circuit. It is available to power a single circuit only when the grid is down. The newer transformerless models have this feature. I have installed 3kw. 120/240 volt USA models which have this feature. On these models there are 2 MPPT front ends, each one drives a 120 volt inverter at 1500 watts. Only when this feature is turned off by the external switch can the unit be “in grid tie mode” . When the external switch is turned on one inverter is shut off and the other inverter’s output is rerouted to the SPS outlet which is located in the external junction box along with the SPS switch.

When in SPS mode the normal output connectors of the inverter are disabled to prevent backfeeding the grid.

It is not a true “off grid system” as it has no battery and can only use the available power from the string of panels feeding that inverter, not power from both strings.

It is not a “Hybrid System” It is meant to power a minor appliance and small loads only such as your referigerator and a few lights, radio etc. Obviously this does not work through the night.

I have the manuals as the Sunny Boy is the only grid tie systems that i service and install.

AFAIK.....Only SMA America Sunny Boy models have this feature.

It is really not meant for your proposed use but as an emergency source of power when the grid is down.

I have installed a (USA model) which does have this feature and it does work as advertised by SMA America. This was installed by myself in Santa Cruz County , California.

First thing a Sunny Boy does is wake up when PV DC voltage is present.
I think you should be able to use Secure Power before the first time it ever sees utility grid, but email service@sma-america.com and ask to confirm.

Some of their earlier models had a problem they wouldn't talk to the PC being used for configuration before synchronizing. When installed in a Sunny Island off-grid system, it might not be within 59.4 to 60.5 Hz for a while, preventing the installer from switching it from strictly grid-tie to off-grid or backup mode. I ran into that, so connected to grid while programing. Later units were shipped with backup enabled. So I would imagine it wasn't a problem for later models.

yes the secure power is what I’m trying to use, would be great because I’m buying all this stuff anyway and would save me from paying for a temp power setup or running a generator, I’m in the desert so should have plenty of power to charge my tools batteries all day

My customer has stated that when a power outage occurs that she must return home to set the SPS to on before the system will power the SPS outlet, and then plug the refrigerator into the SPS outlet ,then it will stay in SPS mode until the SPS switch is turned off even if the grid power is restored.

My own system is off grid but the MagnaSine MS4024AE can and does pass through utility through to the output terminals of the inverter. Mine is the rare 120/240 volt model......only the “AE” and “PAE” variants are 120/240 split phase. The AE is offgrid only where the PAE is a true hybird model and can operate in grid tie or off grid mode

My installation was in an existing home and grid was up when i installed it so i do not know if grid must be present first before SPS can be activated. SMA America is a truly great company to work with and local agents were very responsive to my queries. This is one of my requirements and lack of manufacturers support is exactly why I do not service off shore equipment. SMA , Samlex, and Victron are the only popular offshore vendors that have decent product support.

On some models of the Sunny Boy grid tie inverter there is an option called SPS. Secure Power Supply. This is a factory installed option only, it cannot be retrofit. It is activated by a external spst toggle switch which allows one of the inverters to power an auxiliary outlet. this is limited to a 15 amp 120 volt single circuit. It is available to power a single circuit only when the grid is down.

While this is a good (optional extra) feature, it isn’t off grid power. If a cloud passes over or the load exceeds 2kw it turns off. Also you cannot supplement that by placing a generator on the AC bus as asked by the OP

I just used a small system 2 golf cart battery’s 500 watts of solar and a charge controler
a small 300 watt morning star inverter it worked good .
It’s still powering my trailer for lite and water pump .
I was just running a small champion generator 1800 watt for lites ,radio, and small tools At the house
It ran from 7 to 11pm for a couple years and used 4 gallons of fuel from Friday nite to Monday at 400 when we left .
I had a larger 4700 watt champion unit for tools and compressor .
Once I hooked up their grid solar I just have that power all the equipment ?

Ya, I think that is the perfect solution I would of tried that if it was available

Midnight solar thing looks good, so that plus 24v of batteries plus the panels and that’s all I need? What’s batteries should I be looking at considering I won’t be using them long term, 2 12v golf cart batteries?

Back