diy solar

diy solar

Temporarily switch grid system to off grid system in case of power outage.

Zenith

NOTE: I've read alternative strings auto-suggested by the forum and do not believe (given my limited knowhow) such explain or solve the issues I present.

1. I've had 3 recent strokes which have left me left-side paralyzed, and am 78, so my ability to grasp may be lacking. As well, I'm a 100% disabled Vietnam combat veteran which limits my mobility.
2. In 2015 I developed the following system with the aid of subcontractors:
Modules:60 x LDK Solar LDK 285P-24 (08/2012)
Azimuth angle:180°
Angle of inclination:17°
Communication:3 x SMA Webconnect
Inverter:3 x Sunny Boy 6000TLUS-12

3. I chose the 6000TLUS inverters producing 220 V because the run from the inverter bunker is over 100 yards and I wanted to minimize transit loss.
4. Due to the run length and cost of replicating it for different inverters, as well as new inverter acquisition expenses, I need to keep the current inverters.
5. I have watched many of Mr. Prowse's videos and am amazed at his delivery skills and depth of knowledge. To be blunt, I can't keep up with the theory any longer.
6. So... I am looking for a paid consultant to help me create of list of components that have been reviewed by Mr. Prowse to buy and a plan of action to get such installed.
7. The reason for this is our looming power outages and the harm to my invalid wife of 51 years that could come during a heat wave. So, ideally, I'd like a "switch" in the garage that would permit a battery backup system to take over temporarily during a power outage for 4-6 hours to run a heat pump, a koi pond filter pump, and one flat panel TV.

The temporary switching you desire could be accomplished by a standard automatic transfer switch, with which your inverters most likely are designed to interface.

You might also consider a large generator to serve as backup power, in case of poor solar performance (in poor weather) and/or failure of your solar installation.

Your inverters probably include a generator auto-start function, which would fire up the generator in response to a grid failure.
A good powerful generator could keep your battery bank charged up in addition to powering your A.C. loads in and around your home.
I'm not sure from your wording whether or not you wish to have the system fully automatic, or do you want to have interaction with your system.
That factor would have a significant influence on your equipment choices.
Im

Last edited:
The temporary switching you desire could be accomplished by a standard transfer switch, with which your inverters most likely are designed to interface.

You might also consider a large generator to serve as backup power, in case of poor solar performance (in poor weather) and/or failure of your solar installation.

Your inverters probably include a generator auto-start function, which would fire up the generator in response to a grid failure.
A good powerful generator could keep your battery bank charged up in addition to powering your A.C. loads in and around your home.
Thank you Ark. Hadn't thought of generators built into the system.

Back