diy solar

diy solar

tennis court lights and conduit at top of fence

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
I am considering placing solar panels on the tennis court lights shown here -- kind of like what is done on the electrical utility poles. Can I run the wires in PVC conduit at the top of the chain link fence. There is already electric line obviously running to the lights, and so I don't want to trench down to the lights themselves. This would be for a diy off-grid application

tennis court.jpg

One small panel on each light pole and a whole lot of wiring, doesn't seem very efficient to me.

One small panel on each light pole and a whole lot of wiring, doesn't seem very efficient to me.
Yeah. Then I thought maybe I can put two panels on each pole but I got scared of going that high. I am having trouble finding somewhere to put solar panels on my property.

Yeah. Then I thought maybe I can put two panels on each pole but I got scared of going that high. I am having trouble finding somewhere to put solar panels on my property.

Build you up a rolling ground mount that stays in the tennis court. If you want to use the court for tennis, just roll it to the side.

I think that would be too much wind load and dangerous.
You could build a carport structure anywhere, and cover it with panels.

1) doesn't look like the sunniest location
2) doesnt look like poles that are rated for additional load
3) the permits required to install at a location like this would be my first question to answer.

Build you up a rolling ground mount that stays in the tennis court. If you want to use the court for tennis, just roll it to the side.
I have also been toying with this exact idea
I did find this on another forum.

Wheels and 8020 aluminum extrusion

I have also been toying with this exact idea

I did find this on another forum.

Wheels and 8020 aluminum extrusion

Yup, something like that. You'll probably want to consider wind, and how you might anchor, or ballast it.

Back