diy solar

diy solar

TEOTWAWKI ..... is it getting close?

Britguy

So we've all got our solar power and battery banks up and running.
But what other precautions are we making for the end of civilisation as we know it?

Anyone built a bunker in the woods, filled with shelf stable foods?
I'll admit to a few 45Kg sacks of rice, some spare 15Kg propane cylinders and a small collection of swords (in case of zombie attack).

The nations grids all appear to all be on the point of failure.
The war in the Ukraine is likely to spread to Europe.
Inflation has gone crazy after pointless COVID precautions (we all got it anyway) destroyed the worlds economy.
All the worlds leaders seem crazy or incompetent (often both).

Not sure you will get a lot of responses on this website about SHTF survivalist stuff on this website. Just checking the major sections and reading the titles for the last month of so has shown me that. There are plenty of those sites out there, but be prepared they can and do go off the rails. Bring your tin foil and really, REALLY thick skin. Chest puffing, feather plumping on steroids. I have noticed this site is more laser focused on pieces and parts and making them work with anything solar. Check out the off grid living section and see for yourself. I personally find it is wise to "read the room" for a few weeks or months to get the feel for place I may want to participate or just lurk and learn. Just my 2 cents.

We are preppers.. one step short of an underground bunker. When the war with Ukraine started, I drew up plans for a concrete fallout shelter. With the exception of the shelter, we are very much prepared in every other way, and in many ways others don't even consider.

We became preppers back when the short fat guy in North Korea started launching ICBM's, detonating nukes, and screaming "death to America". Prepping actually became a fun hobby for us. From purchasing a Freeze Dryer machine and storing about 5 years worth of food, to wondering if the FBI has me on some list because of all the weapons and ammo I purchased in such a short time frame. We installed a grid tied solar system, off-grid battery system, and then stored another entire off-grid system in a Faraday cage along with other electronics.

We purchased so much stuff I can't even remember it all, and purchased things of opportunity as they showed up in local marketplaces.

With all the crap going on in the world, my bet was on a terrorist or North Korea hitting us with a high altitude nuclear EMP that knocked out our grid. Never did I suspect a nuclear exchange would be on the table, and bunkers of the type normal people bury or build aren't good for much else besides radioactive fallout.
The term "bunker" is a bad name as it implies a defensive position. No bunker you or I build is going to provide any significant protection from someone who wants to attack you, but if you design it correctly, an underground shelter can protect you from radioactive fallout.. you just need to have enough mass over your head and a Geiger counter to know when its needed.

We have enough here to turn our home into a fortress.. We keep all kinds of electronics in Faraday cages.. from laptops and battery chargers, to the backup solar system and IP cameras with a backup router.. We even bought a Pulsar XP38 thermal weapon scope.

I spent quite a bit of time in the "prepper forums", and I suggest you avoid them as most of these websites are filled with paranoid crack pot morons who lack education. Unfortunately, most prepper types have an abundance of stupid but a shortage of education beyond public school..

We treat our prepping as a hobby and an insurance investment, but the fact is, it is very unlikely that anything will happen that will completely collapse society.

When the pandemic hit, we did get a chuckle out of the great toilet paper rush.

If there's anything I can help you with, let me know.

With all the crap going on in the world, my bet was on a terrorist or North Korea hitting us with a high altitude nuclear EMP that knocked out our grid. Never did I suspect a nuclear exchange would be on the table, and bunkers of the type normal people bury or build aren't good for much else besides radioactive fallout.
The term "bunker" is a bad name as it implies a defensive position. No bunker you or I build is going to provide any significant protection from someone who wants to attack you, but if you design it correctly, an underground shelter can protect you from radioactive fallout.. you just need to have enough mass over your head and a Geiger counter to know when its needed.
I don't really worry about nuclear war, I don't believe EMP would actually work (beyond grid and comms) all the home appliances and cars would probably still work (which is why I have off grid solar for most of my home).
I'm more a 'zombie apocalypse' sort of guy ...... which is why I keep a selection of swords to hand.

Here you go:

I would also suggest you download and read the congressional EMP report.

Zombies? Seriously?

Interesting.. they staged the event to make a point.. but it was still staged.

Now you'd have to explain away the following:
Starfish Prime: Knocked out street lights and communication towers in Hawaii when the EMP was detonated in space.
Russia's test: Knocked out power plants.
EMP Commission Report: You'd have to claim all these experts and scientists are lying.

Ok, I've done everything I can do to help, good luck to you, I wish you the best of luck.

Now you'd have to explain away the following:
Starfish Prime: Knocked out street lights and communication towers in Hawaii when the EMP was detonated in space.
Russia's test: Knocked out power plants.
EMP Commission Report: You'd have to claim all these experts and scientists are lying.
Yes, EMP affects long wires.
No long wire (or a fuse at the end of the wire) = no damage.

EMP is a complex event over 3 minutes in three stages. Once upon a time there were 'transorbs' - 99c diode looking things designed to protect electronics from EMP. Then in a very short period of time they simply disappeared. I have some around here in a junk box....

As far as Preppers:
Prepping runs on a spectrum - from the totally paranoid who go off grid to avoid the post-WW3 Mad Max zombie hordes, to the homeowners with total trust in the system who just want some basic amenities like Charmin while they wait for the National Guard and Red Cross to rescue them in a natural disaster.

I am somewhere in the middle. I see that the electrical grid is endangered from increased usage of EV's to grid disruptions ala 'rolling blackouts' that seem to be part of a planned effort to destabilize the economy to the point of enabling Central Bank Digital Currency. The basic ideas have been floated from the highest levels of the Council of Foreign Relations, to the International Monetary Fund for at least a generation. It starts with the conundrums of 'Triffin's Dilemna'.

Solar power is hideously expensive, but so can the cost of feeding a backup generator in todays geopolitical climate.

Dont try to front run the devil.
Just second source necessities.
Add Scotties (In case Mr. Whipple keels over).

Back