diy solar

diy solar

terminal blocks (EG4-6500ex-48)

Solarhead1

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement terminal block from. This is from an EG4 6500ex- 48, it is for the ac input. The brand is SCED, I cannot find a part # or who to even order from. I contacted signature solar but have not heard back. These things are pretty flimsy and i must of over tightened and now it wont stay tight. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 20220729_122624.jpg
    20220729_122624.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 53
That looks like a floating clamp type terminal.
When tightened without a wire in it there's room behind it that is big enough to fit the wire in. Remove the wire and loosen the terminal to make sure that the wire is in the right place.
Just a possibility.

That looks like a floating clamp type terminal.
When tightened without a wire in it there's room behind it that is big enough to fit the wire in. Remove the wire and loosen the terminal to make sure that the wire is in the right place.
Just a possibility.
Yeah, it is definitely broke, I already pulled it out and checked. Thanks

You can try contacting SCED showing the pictures of your terminal block and ask them for the spec and where you can get them.

You can try contacting SCED showing the pictures of your terminal block and ask them for the spec and where you can get them.
Thanks, just sent them an email. Hopefully they will respond from china!

Looks like a job for super glue to me. If that doesn't work, duct tape might be the answer. ?

In all seriousness, it's pretty neat if those literally just screw down to the board and are user replaceable.

In all seriousness, it's pretty neat if those literally just screw down to the board and are user replaceable.
They are replaceable, I've pulled it out, pretty easy.! Now finding the replacement seems to be another story!

When you do rewire try using spade terminals for the connection as well. More surface area and thinner, which would allow the terminal screw more thread depth. That is what they did internally based on the picture.

I wouldn't put a spade terminal in a clamp type terminal. You could use a spade or ring terminal in place of the bad clamp type terminal.

I wouldn't put a spade terminal in a clamp type terminal. You could use a spade or ring terminal in place of the bad clamp type terminal.
From that standpoint, couldn't he just double up on the existing spot they are sticking their wires on above the bad clamp terminal, use a ring on his cable and ring it up?

I know you aren't supposed to, but you aren't supposed to repair your equipment that is still under warranty either. I know it's not ideal electrically, and could cause fires and arc faults and who knows what else, but how bad is it really on a short term basis? It's not like this is an inspected, permitted, homeowners insurance approved install anyway (most likely).

From that standpoint, couldn't he just double up on the existing spot they are sticking their wires on above the bad clamp terminal, use a ring on his cable and ring it up?

I know you aren't supposed to, but you aren't supposed to repair your equipment that is still under warranty either. I know it's not ideal electrically, and could cause fires and arc faults and who knows what else, but how bad is it really on a short term basis? It's not like this is an inspected, permitted, homeowners insurance approved install anyway (most likely).
Yes, that's fine. There are many solutions to this.
I just tried to give them the easiest one I could think of.

When you do rewire try using spade terminals for the connection as well. More surface area and thinner, which would allow the terminal screw more thread depth. That is what they did internally based on the picture.
It would have been better for them to allow that instead of the screw clamp style on the user side. I would have preferred to have a crimp on lug style to a post or screw! If I can find something that style I will change them all out.

I did just that temporarily, till I find a replacement. I appreciate everyone's help and advise on here! Now if I can just find a replacement!

I did just that temporarily, till I find a replacement. I appreciate everyone's help and advise on here! Now if I can just find a replacement!
Ask Signature Solar to send you one, maybe they can source them or borrow one off a defective to give you. It's a perfect opportunity for them to show their love for this forum and it's users. @RichardFromEG4

Back