Terminal materials

SlimyLemur56

I saw in another post (I've lost track of) someone vaguely mention that copper bus bars on aluminum batter terminals is a bad and/or questionable practice. Although this seems like the sort of thing that might have been revisited several times on the forums, I was unable to search up much about the topic.

I would have by default assumed copper busbars were good because conductivity etc. I do know that different materials react to each other, but I don't know the specifics of possible reactions between copper and aluminum. I also saw someone mention using noalox but it was vague and i'm not sure where or how.

Currently while testing my battery I am using bus bars made from flattened copper pipe.

Should I avoid copper busbars on my aluminum cell terminals? For instance I could make new bus bars out aluminum by drilling some narrow aluminum flatbar (I'd have to buy).
If I'm using either copper on aluminum, or aluminum on aluminum, should I lube the contact area with noalox?

Last edited:

Alice2021

Pure copper is more conductive,please make sure your connection is correct, Incorrect connections can cause melting or low voltage shut down. I see a good guide from amazon, for your reference in the attachment

Attachments

• battery connection.png
    battery connection.png
    857.4 KB · Views: 4

12VoltInstalls

Photon Sorcerer
someone vaguely mention that copper bus bars on aluminum batter terminals is a bad and/or questionable
It’s because of the dissimilar metals
They can corrode where they contact each other.
There was a recent thread re: aluminum post battery connectors with stainless and copper but I didn’t figure out which one to link for you.
Annual inspection of your connections should probably be done as a matter of course, but a lot of people merely run a short heavy jumper and mount the buss bar on the wall not on the battery which is probably better for the battery terminal anyway.

RV10flyer

Solar Enthusiast
A DC power supply, muriatic acid from Lowe’s, tin nuggets from Amazon. Instructions online. Done.