diy solar

diy solar

Terminal sharing

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
Is this an acceptable wiring config?
Having the distribution block bus bar as shown? My concern is the battery+ to block..block+ to inverter leg. Am I best to just go direct from battery+ to inverter+(white line) and place my fuse in there? Or if the block is ok, where's best to place the fuse? In between the battery and block, or block to inverter?
Also, am I ok to split the BMS C- wire lugs as shown? Or should they share a common bolt?
I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Tyler

Attachments

• Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
Yeah, you can split the 2 BMS C- wires on the block.

You should put one properly sized fuse on the inverter positive wire, and another properly sized fuse on the solar charger positive wire and you should be good there.

Cool. So proper sized fuses placed as indicated by the yellow marks should be good? On another note, wills link to Windynation's ANL fuse holder has gotten mixed reviews. Brittle plastic cover, exposed terminals on the bottom, tight 4 guage wire openings.
Thoughts? Alternatives?
Tyler

Attachments

• 20201116_224509.jpg
    20201116_224509.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, like you have marked in yellow, you want protection for each device to separate from the battery...

Here is an ANL fuseholder (they have a few different sizes listed there) which seem to have ok reviews for the most part (a few bad ones but hey, hard to say, your call):
If I used fuses, it doesn't hurt to keep a spare fuse in each size laying around.

Or you could do circuit breakers. Blue Sea Systems has been touted here as a decent brand for switches, breakers, relays, etc (they have a bunch of different sizes available on there, still, for you to decide, this is just an example, I've never tried this brand of breaker before myself):

Circuit breakers can be handy, because they also act as a quick/easy cutoff switch too when you want to cutoff the circuit fast and easy for maintenance or whatever.

Just make sure the bus bars are rated at a higher amperage than the anticipated amperage between the battery and the inverter.

2000w / 12VDC = 167A
2000w / 24VDC = 83A

Roger that on the busbar rating. These are "R2X Racing" brand units rated at 250A per connection, so they're well within range. On a side note, these are really solid bars! Heavy. Completely sealed on the bottom, the covers are easy to screw on and off, and the openings for the wires are quite generous. I'm using 4guage and it's an easy fit! Plus I think they look pretty cool..

Back