diy solar

diy solar

Ternary Lithium Ion 3.7v cells, good or bad for marine deep cycle/starting?

Fish Freak

I fish frequently
I was chatting with a popular supplier of LifePO4 cells to members of this forum, and said I was looking to make an car/marine replacement starting battery, mainly deep cycle use, running navigation, depth electronics, pumps and such, and she said she'd talk to her engineer. He told her I should use ternary lithium ion cells. They sell them, she said she's never sold them before, but they have a higher voltage, 3.7v, and a higher energy density. I couldn't find anything online about it nor it's battery lingo name, but my worries with an ion technology cell are safety.

It's a Ni-Co lithium manganate positive electrode with a graphite ground. Biggest advantage said to be lower temperature operation, which clearly is an issue with LifePO4.

Also, can I just use a LifePO4 BMS?

I was chatting with a popular supplier of LifePO4 cells to members of this forum, and said I was looking to make an car/marine replacement starting battery, mainly deep cycle use, running navigation, depth electronics, pumps and such, and she said she'd talk to her engineer. He told her I should use ternary lithium ion cells. They sell them, she said she's never sold them before, but they have a higher voltage, 3.7v, and a higher energy density. I couldn't find anything online about it nor it's battery lingo name, but my worries with an ion technology cell are safety.

It's a Ni-Co lithium manganate positive electrode with a graphite ground. Biggest advantage said to be lower temperature operation, which clearly is an issue with LifePO4.

Also, can I just use a LifePO4 BMS?
What about LTO cells they are the safest Lithium chemistry and can be charged to -50C, they have 30,000 cycles and a 10C discharge rate.

I use these for my complete system. They are a bit more expensive though but if they last as long as advertised they are much cheaper in the end.

Attachments

• YinlongLTO66160 Battery Specification(1).pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
What about LTO cells they are the safest Lithium chemistry and can be charged to -50C, they have 30,000 cycles and a 10C discharge rate.

I use these for my complete system. They are a bit more expensive though but if they last as long as advertised they are much cheaper in the end.

I have no idea about LTO. Saw Will's vid on those. That's lithium titanate right? Isn't there a voltage difference that makes them harder to set up for a 12v replacememnt? I'm building my first DIY 12v battery, and I thought LifePO4 was going to be the one, but I've heard of some people saying output with LifePO4 was significantly lower at even 8 degrees C. That was surprising.

Last edited:
Back