diy solar

diy solar

Tesla 12V battery and Ctek "reconditioning" charger disaster

Graphene

Will may be able to relate to this as some others here. Model 3 12v battery finally dies after 3 years. It's a standard AGM battery that powers 12v things in the car like windows, locks, screen, etc., and it also energizes the high voltage contactors to enable the car to drive. This 12v battery needs a certain amount of voltage to close those contactors or the car is basically dead.

I hooked my 12v ctek charger to the car/battery (ctek manual states clearly there is no need to disconnect battery from car) and selected recondition mode/agm. The battery went through several steps of the charger and powered right back up again. Success! Sort of... The main screen in the Tesla was black, no image, no flicker, nothing. Rebooting the car did not help, everything else worked, car drove fine, just no screen image.

Tesla repair was called to put in a new battery. (It's only $85 so why not...) I crossed my fingers the new battery would magically get the screen working again but it did not. The Tesla tech tried using his laptop for deeper "rebooting procedures" but still no working screen.

I reluctantly ordered a new screen and it arrived 2 days later. When opening the car back up, you could smell an electrical issue! As you looked at the screen, you could see faint whiffs of electrical smoke rising from the back! The screen was quickly unbolted and unplugged. The tech said these screens are made by LG. There was quite the burned component smell from the backside of the screen. A new screen was plugged in and instantly worked again! What a relief there was no further damage!

So what happened? Ctek says they pulse 16V to the agm battery in recondition mode. They say the charger can always stay connected to the car and battery as cars have components designed for this voltage range. But do they? What about the LG screen?? I notified ctek and they wrote back it was absolutely not the charger.

What do you guys think? Would pulsing 16Volts through the car cause a screen component to pop or was this just an expensive coincidence that happened simultaneously with a dead 12v battery? At this point I have the old screen in case later down the line I can get compensated but would love to hear peoples opinions. Oh, and Will, maybe don't try this with your Tesla unless of course you make a video attempting it ;)

Rebooting the car :unsure:

Lesson take the battery out of the car before charging or testing, or if its a few years old just replace it.

ctek manual is only good for ICE cars !! ??
Rebooting by owners is done often, just like a phone, you hold both steering wheel buttons in for a few seconds...

From Ctek manual:
6. Can I charge the battery without removing it from the vehicle, or opening the caps?

There is no reason to disconnect or remove the battery from the vehicle – or open the battery caps – while charging. CTEK chargers are spark proof, reverse polarity protected and electronically safe.

I've used my CTEK MUS 4.3 on my Leaf accessory battery, but never on the recondition mode. But I only did that once.

As I recall, there is a warning in the Leaf manual to not connect a battery charger to the accessory battery while the battery is still connected to the vehicle. Apparently the Leaf system periodically applies a charge to the accessory battery (from the main battery) when the vehicle has not been operated after a certain number of hours. Should the two charging systems be active at the same time, it's not good. I'm pretty sure my CTEK was connected long enough to encounter that periodic charge from the main battery. But, by the time it happened, the CTEK was likely running a float voltage, not a bulk or reconditioning voltage.

My opinion: Usage of the CTEK caused the damage, but it's operator error. I don't run a reconditioning charge on my batteries when the battery is still connected.

The Tesla does something similar to charge it's 12V battery but it isn't just "periodically" done. It probes the battery to see if a charge is needed. If a charger is attached and charging, the car sees there is no extra charge needed.
I appreciate your opinion on what happened but keep in mind both ctek and Tesla say charging the battery in the car is just fine, not sure how it would be operator error.

An automotive system that can't take 16 volts is asking for trouble. (within max charge of lead-acid battery, depending on temperature)
But with no alternator involved to deliver spikes, they may have let their guard down.

Page 42, SunXtender AGM would charge over 16.8V at -40 degrees C
16V is about -25 degrees C.

An AGM battery with float charger (from lithium traction battery) ought to be good for 10 years.
Maybe Tesla cycles it rather than floating, in which case cycle life depends on DoD.

What do you guys think?
Did you take any measurements that suggest the 16V actually reached the other systems?

Do you have a continuous CAN Bus Logger to diagnose properly what the vehicle experienced?

Shouldn't the battery have just stayed at almost the same voltage and current flows into it?

If the battery was not charged up to 16V then the other circuits would not have seen the elevated voltage to begin with?

There are DC-DC converters onboard, 16V should have been regulated to the proper voltage to begin with.

It is very tempting to blame the charger, especially given the timing of the failure. Without more historical observations or new measurements I am concerned speculation is all that remains available.

Not attacking you. It is not clear to me what happened. The charger could have played a role in damaging other systems.

Rebooting by owners is done often, just like a phone, you hold both steering wheel buttons in for a few seconds...

From Ctek manual:
6. Can I charge the battery without removing it from the vehicle, or opening the caps?

There is no reason to disconnect or remove the battery from the vehicle – or open the battery caps – while charging. CTEK chargers are spark proof, reverse polarity protected and electronically safe.
The ctek manual would be true if you had a standard vehicle.

Does it say you can do this for an EV?

Does the tesla manual say anything about using a battery reconditioning mode on a charger? I'm guessing they just say "replace the battery".

Back