diy solar

diy solar

Tesla 5.8kwh Solar Panels need to add Battery backup

Praise_Jesus

Can anyone recommend someone to install a battery backup on my home owned Tesla 5.8kwh system so I can power my home when and if power goes out? I live in Las Vegas, Nevada

only battery backup I know of that works with tesla is the tesla power wall. Whatever installer put the solar on should be willing to add a powerwall.
<edit> On second thought, I think its all handled through Tesla themselves. https://www.tesla.com/powerwall ...Do the thing on the website and they take care of everything for the install.

only battery backup I know of that works with tesla is the tesla power wall. Whatever installer put the solar on should be willing to add a powerwall.
<edit> On second thought, I think its all handled through Tesla themselves. https://www.tesla.com/powerwall ...Do the thing on the website and they take care of everything for the install.
First place I tried, but they informed me they sell solar panels with battery backup only and not the batteries by themselves

Even if your tesla system isn't compatible with adding batteries to it. You could just build your own system. Just buy some batteries along with an inverter. OR ...They do sell prebuilt battery systems that act like emergency generators.

I have Tesla Solar and Tesla Inverter with no Powerwall and would like to back up critical loads for power outages. Sounds like what you're considering too. Has anyone tried something like what I've outlined below? Does anyone know if this would work?
  • I've been thinking of (but have yet to pursue) adding a generator Critical Loads Panel (refrigerator, lights, and some outlets) to four or six of my circuits.
  • I then add something like the Signature Solar EG4 3kW Off-Grid Inverter (input is AC from house, output to CL Panel) along with a EG4 Battery. This would likely have low efficiency as it's going from Solar DC to Tesla Inverter AC to EG4 DC when charging the battery, but may suit my needs.

Back