diy solar

diy solar

Tesla large w/4PW but now want MORE POWA: Does Tesla solar play nice with others

crooozin

Hi, I'm not new to the forum (been lurking for about a year or so) but this is the first post I think.

I currently have a grid-tied 16.4kW array with 4 powerwall 2's installed March 2021. My inverters are off-grid capable (ie hybrids)-- Delta inverters. I can do that with the push of a button in the app. Anyway... Since I have way too much into the solar system, the electric cars, and the nice coffee mug they gave me already.... I'd like to install more, but want to do it DIY.

Even with the "large" system, it won't supply my house with power all night long in the summer. Not even close, considering charging cars overnight- with the truck coming sometime in the next couple years, that will get even worse. I live in Dallas.

I am building a new shop, broke ground last week, that will be used for both personal stuff as well as side-hustle stuff. I want this to be solar powered as part of a "saving the planet" mindset (that's overblown, but you get the gist). I do most of my work in my shop in the evenings, sometimes late into the night; I have a day job that is very demanding. There are some pretty big pieces of equipment that have significant startup currents; I have 3 motors that are 3phase (run from VSD's, 1p-3p), 2 of them are 5hp, one is 7.5hp. They don't run concurrently; the panel breakers for the 5hp motors are 60A, for the 7.5 is 100A (that's what the VSD's required). there are also 3 different 1phase 3hp motors, and one of them is the dust collector, which will always run concurrently with everything else. All are 240V, and all will be moved into the new shop space. It'll be nice to get them off the house's electricals, I've tripped UPS's a few times... Then there's lighting, a fridge, AC, and heat out there as well...

So considering the cars in the house-attached garage, and the new shop, I need more power. I'm thinking I want to essentially double my storage capability, and hence also need to at least double my generation capability.

How "nice" can Tesla's systems play with a DIY 2nd system that may or may not have the same Delta inverters? anyone have any experience doing that? I'm not sure about how it would be configured, especially with two separate buildings or if the Deltas can be daisy-chained more than 2. Or am I going to be stuck with having 2 independent systems, which basically eliminates the ability to run the house concurrently with both-- thus preventing me from charging the vehicles while I'm not in the shop? I think I can probably build a comparable system for about half what Tesla wants now, give or take depending on quality of components.... The powerwall cost has gone up significantly, whilst the batteries available in DIY form have multiplied and gotten cheaper... and the labor! holy crap. I could have done all that myself but being up on the roof was something I didn't want to do. Anyway...

Thanks for reading, hope someone can give me some insights.

Last edited:
Back