diy solar

diy solar

Tesla Megapack fire in Australia

Battery fire started during testing. This is expected to be the new biggest battery in Australia.

In total this is a 300MW, 450MWh battery.

Yep, when a Li-ion (NMC) battery goes to thermal runaway ... that burns like hell.
And Tesla packs have the most sophisticated build with a good cooling system, fire blocking foam and other protections against it.

I know. It was a joke, the BTC people have no idea how to set up batteries - looks like they aren’t alone!

I know. It was a joke
I thought you were having a lend but given this isn't an Aussie forum it's not always easy to tell!
the BTC people have no idea how to set up batteries
Quite a few of the systems were installed by the supplier's installers and in most cases technical support during installation and commissioning was provided by the supplier/manufacturer.

This report details the installation phase for the 3rd round of batteries under test:
Refer Section 6.2:

This one details the installation phase for the 2nd round of batteries:
Refer Section 2:

This one for the first round of batteries:
Refer Section 2:

Last edited:
Report on the fire released:

After extensive enquiries, ESV found a Megapack cooling system leak caused a short circuit resulting in overheating that led to a fire in a nearby battery compartment, which consequently damaged two Megapacks.

There were further contributory factors with the Megapack in question being switched into an off-line service mode, resulting in the protection systems being inactive.

A 24-hour delay in connecting the batteries to the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system also meant there was no active monitoring of the Megapack alarms.

Back