diy solar

diy solar

Tesla Powerwall Price Increase

Johncfii

Solar Enthusiast
While the cost of brand new LiFePo4 batteries has been dropping, Tesla just announced a price increase for their 13.5 kWh Powerwall. This new cost will be $7500 for the Powerwall, plus $1,000 for the Gateway controller, plus $3500 for installation. Tesla is said to be selling all of these that they can produce, which seems to indicate that they are selling a valuable product at what the market judges to be a fair price. However, these prices should make those of you working to assemble your own large LiFePo4 batteries feel good about the time and trouble you are expending.

I'm waiting on delivery of 24 pieces of 280 amp-hour cells to assemble a 21.5 kWh battery to supplement my 10-year-old AGM battery bank, and the new solar panels that I'm adding to our system. I purchased them through one of the "Group Buy" offers on this forum. Integration of this battery pack addition will be pretty easy for me, and I'm expecting to spend less than $125 per kWh, installed, for the battery pack, wiring, and associated components.

I'm very grateful for the information shared on this forum that has given me the information needed to undertake this project. This forum is great sharing.

That price is insane. My 16s 280ah pack cost less than $3,500 including a high end BMS. You really have to enjoy this stuff to invest the time on research and actual install time though. I have more hours into my design and install than I ever thought I would.

That price is insane. My 16s 280ah pack cost less than $3,500 including a high end BMS. You really have to enjoy this stuff to invest the time on research and actual install time though. I have more hours into my design and install than I ever thought I would.
Where did you get the system? I hope I will find a good battery system soon..
Cheers!

While the cost of brand new LiFePo4 batteries has been dropping, Tesla just announced a price increase for their 13.5 kWh Powerwall. This new cost will be $7500 for the Powerwall, plus $1,000 for the Gateway controller, plus $3500 for installation. Tesla is said to be selling all of these that they can produce, which seems to indicate that they are selling a valuable product at what the market judges to be a fair price. However, these prices should make those of you working to assemble your own large LiFePo4 batteries feel good about the time and trouble you are expending.

I'm waiting on delivery of 24 pieces of 280 amp-hour cells to assemble a 21.5 kWh battery to supplement my 10-year-old AGM battery bank, and the new solar panels that I'm adding to our system. I purchased them through one of the "Group Buy" offers on this forum. Integration of this battery pack addition will be pretty easy for me, and I'm expecting to spend less than $125 per kWh, installed, for the battery pack, wiring, and associated components.

I'm very grateful for the information shared on this forum that has given me the information needed to undertake this project. This forum is great sharing.
I remember reading Tesla is only sell the Power Wall with it's Sola Tiles. It is an expensive system to begin with for something you don't control. Lose internet connection for two days and the system will shut down until you contact Tesla.

I remember reading Tesla is only sell the Power Wall with it's Sola Tiles. It is an expensive system to begin with for something you don't control. Lose internet connection for two days and the system will shut down until you contact Tesla.

I would never install anything I don't have 100% control over. I also hate any cloud based services that are required for operation.

Any safe systems reports critical system state to local people so they can act with proper knowledge, especially the operator.

MQTT is perfect for this on local area networks.

Kind of comparing 2 different apples here though, but not necessarily apples to oranges. Dont forget the tesla powerwall outputs 120/240v as well, meaning it has an inverter built in.

Its still leaps and bounds cheaper to DIY, but just thought I would throw that out there.

Back