diy solar

diy solar

Tesla S Battery Temperature Control in RV Installation

GyroGypsy

My Covid-19 "Shelter in Place" project is completion of the third and final phase of my Class C Navion solar system upgrade. This being installation of two used Tesla S batteries within modified and insulated OEM battery box below the entryway step yielding about 10kWh storage. This battery box is outside, thus now sealed and insulated to use recirculating heated fluid for continuous temperature control. I integrated ideas from Mortons On the Move, Tom Geriak, and Per's (http://offgrid100.com) installations. I will post details later, after travel is again allowed, and some real world experience.

Project is nearing the end, but with a final issue - keeping the batteries at optimal temperature - about 65F. I had good preliminary results using just distilled water and pump/heater per OffGrid100.com/tesla-modules-heating. The pump and heater draws about 25wH average and planning to remain on always. As soon as I switched to the Zerex G48 antifreeze fluid as called for by Tesla (and MB Sprinter!), flow decreased too much. I switched from 200LPM to a 800LPM 12V pump, but still slow.

My system has battery fluid lines connected in series, with about 3 ft (one way) of exterior but insulated 5/16" fluid lines from the battery box to the center of right lower storage/equipment bay. There another 3 ft of fluid lines from there to below the sink where my fluid reservoir is mounted. There are two 90 degree brass elbows within the tightly packed insulated battery box that are "slightly" restrictive to fluid flow, but should not be significant at low flow rates.

I am about to try some plain old (less viscous) RV antifreeze, but thought I'd ask this group if anybody else is controlling Tesla battery temperature using liquid?

Open to ideas.

Attachments

• Battery Box - Finished Top Seal-1512x2016.jpg
    Battery Box - Finished Top Seal-1512x2016.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 12
Back