diy solar

diy solar

Testament to Rolls Surrette...

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
2S2P S-605 for 12V, 936Ah

This evening I pulled 81-84A (a little more current than the 4hr rate) from them for almost 6 hours. SG was 1.175 with voltage at 11.5V with 480Ah extracted. By Roll's published reference, they are very near 50% SoC based on a 4hr discharge curve and SG. That puts them very near rated capacity at 4 years old. I've abused them for the better part of the last 3 years:

1) Rarely charging them to full with only 1-2 equalizations/year - mostly out of guilt.
2) Letting them sit at about 12.5V (about 70-80% capacity).
3) Shallow but aggressive cycles of about 1.5kWh with discharge currents of 200A and charge currents of 300A but never quite hitting the 15V absorption for these batteries.

I can't help but think the short (15 min) 300A charges (0.31C) do a little something for desulfation, but I'm just guessing.

These were a $600 craigslist find (about 1/3 new price). The prior owner was running these batteries flat every night in his 24/7 off-grid "grow house." Yes. Verbally, that's what he told me they were for. After about a year of abuse, he decided he needed to go big and went with even bigger batteries with much more capacity. His loss was my gain.

Mostly just a testament to the durability of Rolls FLA when only moderate care is given to their health and with deliberate abuse.

100% Agree they are seriously tough buggers ! I have severly pushed them to the edge, even over the cliff once (1.0V per cell, -20C and frozen into solid blocks !) I had Heart Palpitations when I got home & saw that (was on a trip). That just happened to be when the old RV Furnace I had decided to pack it in no less ! You know that Murphy & his Laws.... he has a big bullseye on his back I'll say !

After heating up the pump house and thawing the kids out and verifying nothing cracked or popped and no leaks.... slow charge at first and worked up over the day, and the following day fully topping them and then a 4 hour hard Equalize, they recovered. "Got Lucky". phew that's big bucks.

I go through about 4-6 litres of distilled water per month, Short EQ monthly and Heavy EQ every three. They still have a lot of life in them but now my secondary power bank.

BUT that is the difference between real solar Deep Cycle cells and those others... when you are dropping 350-400 per Deep Cycle battery x 8 or 16 or more.... the wallet feel it, like your back does when you have to move it all.

Seriously impressed they recovered from freezing. Would not expect that.

Believe me, I had Palpitations when I got home to no juice, frozen powerhouse (with 50 gallon pressure tank in there too as it is also my pumphouse) and the worst, frozen batteries only 2 years old ! The overwhelming RELIEF that they did not pop and survived after I coddled them back to warm & happy life is indescribable. Luckily the pressure tank did not pop either but the main water filter was... well "bleep".
Closest replacements (IF in stock) 2.5 hrs drive each way as a bonus. Being remote has some disadvantages. TBH I think my saving grace, they hadn't been watered yet so they were a bit low. Had I watered them before going away, might have been a different story.

Back