diy solar

diy solar

Testing Daly Smart BMS

Danner

Can I activate the Daly 16s BMS with one battery to setup parameters before tying into battery Bank?

No you cannot. The BMS must see voltage across all of its balance wires, then charge current passed through to wake it up.

what do you mean with positive leads?
Balance/sending wires: the BMS checks the voltage between each cable. If there is no voltage difference it assume any way the cell is not working and will not start.

You "MIGHT" be able to trick it with a string of 16 equal value resistors. Then tie that to a 50 volt power supply. Have the balance leads connect to reach resistor in the series ladder. Let's use 1K ohm for easy math. 16K ohms total. 50 volts / 16,000 = 3.125 milliamps. 3.125 x 1,000 = 3.125 volts across each resistor. 3.125 volts x 16 cells is your 50 volts. The BMS should see that and be able to turn on and say the battery is good. Do not put much charge current into it, but you will need a little to wake it up. Then you can pull a load off the supply and it should stay alive. Not sure how much current the sensing mode will pull, but you may see the cell voltages bounce around a bit. If the cell voltages go wild, you may need to use lower value resistors. The 1K in this example is only 0.01 watts per resistor. Going down to 220 ohm each, you would get something like 14.2 milliamps, and 0.05 watts per resistor, still not too bad.

what do you mean with positive leads?
Balance/sending wires: the BMS checks the voltage between each cable. If there is no voltage difference it assume any way the cell is not working and will not start.
It's ok now, got it running.

Connected all 16 batteries, I wanted to setup before. My DIY 18650 battery pack is a pain to move around. This board is 4s 40p, there's another one on top of this, then another set in series on another shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_180731101_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200703_180731101_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 7
Back