diy solar

diy solar

Tests for Solar Control/Inverter

THUDGUN

Building a 48V system, and have received the MPPT (Renogy 48V 3500 Solar Inverter/Charger), but don't have the batteries or solar panels yet. What tests can I perform on the controller, with a multimeter, without plugging it into panels or batteries? Any resources that cover these issues? If the unit is no good, I want to be able to send it back ASAP.

Thank you kindly

You can jury rig your controller. - But be very careful if you are afraid of electricity.

Just for test only!
1 - if you have 4 used 12-volt batteries, they don't have to be large capacity for testing. Connect them in series to add up to 48 volts dc and connect them to the DC input of the controller.

2 - Take an extension cord, #14 gauge or more and cut the receptacle end off (leave enough of the cord connect as you will be using it latter) and connect the wires to the ac input of the controller. - I'm assuming your input to your controller is 120vdc. Connect the plug end into the 120vac house outlet.

3 - Take the receptacle end of the cord you cut and connect those wires to the controller AC output and connect any ac load to into the receptacle end, I used a 200-watt bulb that I had laying around for my test load.

Except for testing the solar panel input, there are several tests you can do. I did all my testing that way with my MTTP 2424LV. then when I got my solar panels, I connected them to the controller to finish bench testing before I connected it to the Utility and house loads.

Please note, that I'm a retired Electronic Engineer with many years playing around with electricity. If you are not comfortable around electricity, don't do what I mentioned above.

BTW, you may want to pre-charge the capacitor banks in the SCC using resistor to reduce the spark when connecting batteries to the SCC.

You can jury rig your controller. - But be very careful if you are afraid of electricity.

Just for test only!
1 - if you have 4 used 12-volt batteries, they don't have to be large capacity for testing. Connect them in series to add up to 48 volts dc and connect them to the DC input of the controller.

2 - Take an extension cord, #14 gauge or more and cut the receptacle end off (leave enough of the cord connect as you will be using it latter) and connect the wires to the ac input of the controller. - I'm assuming your input to your controller is 120vdc. Connect the plug end into the 120vac house outlet.

3 - Take the receptacle end of the cord you cut and connect those wires to the controller AC output and connect any ac load to into the receptacle end, I used a 200-watt bulb that I had laying around for my test load.

Except for testing the solar panel input, there are several tests you can do. I did all my testing that way with my MTTP 2424LV. then when I got my solar panels, I connected them to the controller to finish bench testing before I connected it to the Utility and house loads.

Please note, that I'm a retired Electronic Engineer with many years playing around with electricity. If you are not comfortable around electricity, don't do what I mentioned above.
Sounds like a good test, but I don't have any batteries yet. This will be my first system.
I'm pretty comfortable with electricity. It's gas I don't like to mess with. !)

BTW, you may want to pre-charge the capacitor banks in the SCC using resistor to reduce the spark when connecting batteries to the SCC.
I've seen this in peoples videos and looks like a great idea to lubricate the system. hehe

Back