diy solar

diy solar

Texas Power Failure

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
ref

The crisis was the result of three severe winter storms sweeping across the United States on February 10–11[5] 13–17, [6] and 15–20, especially the second of the three storms.[7] More than 4.5 million homes and businesses in Texas were left without power,[8][9][10][11] some for several days.

The damages from the blackouts are currently estimated to be at least $195 billion (2021 USD), which would make the blackouts the costliest disaster in the recorded history of Texas.[3][20] According to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the Texas power grid was just “seconds or minutes” away from a catastrophic and complete failure of the Texas grid and necessitated partial grid shutdowns.[21]

Was Solar & Wind the Cause?
No.

Some government officials[12] including Texas governor Greg Abbott[13] initially blamed the outages on frozen wind turbines and solar panels, but frozen natural gas equipment and a lack of standard winterizing technology was the main cause.[14][15]

Could it have been Avoided?
Yes

Texas had intentionally isolated its power grid from the two major national grids in an effort to avoid federal oversight and deregulate their energy sector on behalf of private business, making it difficult for the state to import electricity from other states.[16] The crisis caused many experts to call into question the state's preparedness for such a storm, especially in light of its deregulated energy market.[17] Ten years previously, U.S. Federal regulators explicitly warned Texas[18] in a detailed report that its power plants would fail[19] in cold conditions that were likely to come.

Sounds like some outage outrage is in order here!

It would be unfortunate if everyone gave up on the grid and went off to roll their own. Very expensive overall.
Much better to fix the shared grid but they will have to find the political will to do it.

Mainly I saw the bit that the outage was caused by solar and wondered how that happened - so looked into it. Considering the resignations I suspect there's a lot of outrage.

What's really curious is the report came out over a decade ago, so why wasn't FEMA ordered to draft a "Save Texans from their Stupid Policies Plan"? It might have embarrassed them into doing the right thing, and even if it didn't come to anything, right now folks could be thumping on it and saying, "see, told you so!" as political clout. I guess advanced planning falls short in more areas than energy. ?

Last edited:
Natural gas went offline as well.
I'd always understood that unless there was an earth quake you could pretty much count on natural gas to run your standby generator.

Last edited:
A well freezing isn't uncommon. My Mother-in-law, when she lived in PA, got her natural gas from a well the gas company drilled on her property, it froze up occasionally (not the gas, but the water that came up with it I guess clogged the flow). Don't know for sure, but suspect the automatic drain occasionally got plugged. A decade of mild winters could easily lead to lax maintenance.

Natural gas has a lot of moisture in it. (It can be dried out, but that costs money.) If you run it through pipes that are below freezing, the moisture can collect inside and freeze. That is the simple version of what happened in Texas.

We don't get many consecutive days of below freezing weather this far south in the US. ERCOT was warned a few years ago they needed to weatherize the fuel supply to their generators. They decided not to spend the money.

Boondoggle,
They cut power to rural areas 1st, which supplied natural gas.
They started up the Peak Power plants too late to keep the grid from crashing.

...They decided not to spend the money....
I wonder what the cost increase would have been per person/cubic-meter of gas vs. the $195 billion in estimated damages.

Look at all the ERCOT resignations, it has been reported that a large majority of them are not even Texas Residents and some are not even US Citizens / Residents. No RED FLAGS THERE ! Ohhh Noooo, not at all.

The obvious & open hostility of the various Power Co's in Texas towards their client base is MORE Red Flags for the people of Texas but those same people will fight & defend the rights of those "corporates" to use & abuse the system & customers.

Had Texas Listened to the advice & recommendations made + looked at it's own failings in other events from freezing temps to hurricanes but they chose not to do so and went along their own self-injuring path. The cost to put in place ALL the cold Weather & Anti-Freezing tech that was previously suggested would have cost less that 2% of what now has to be paid out and what was lost as a result of this ONE incident. PENNY WISE & DOLLAR FOOLISH and Texas Sized as MASSIVE to boot.

Will they Learn ? Not Likely
Will they take steps to prevent it in the future ? Just enough for Appeasement but no more.
Will they actually take a Responsible Path forward ? NOT on your life !
Will they actually have Genuine & Credible programs / initiatives for people to improve Insulation & resiliency ? Limited to certain demographics.
Will they look at Modularizing & upgrading their Power Grid into a DER System away from the Monolithic Backbone system they have now ? Not Likely.

Texas Residents;
IF YOU CAN, get Solar & Battery systems into your homes.
Improve the Insulation and Thermal Efficiency of your home, it will pay back year round, better cooling in summer & heating in winter.
Use PASSIVE Technologies whenever possible for home, they require no power but can save you lot's of energy while improving the comfort of your home at the same time.

Natural gas has a lot of moisture in it. (It can be dried out, but that costs money.) If you run it through pipes that are below freezing, the moisture can collect inside and freeze. That is the simple version of what happened in Texas.

We don't get many consecutive days of below freezing weather this far south in the US. ERCOT was warned a few years ago they needed to weatherize the fuel supply to their generators. They decided not to spend the money.

ERCOT actually passed the recommendations on to the generators. With an unregulated industry it has no actual authority to force winterization.

It's the private industries that elected to not incorporate them. No profit in it.

If I recall, the plant failures were also caused by issues with the cooling water systems at the plants, which froze up. Can't run a steam generator without a continuous supply of water.

The irony is that similar events (at lesser scale), have happened three times in the past, and recommendations to prevent were given from various sources. The power providers opted not to comply as it was expensive. Remember that publicly traded companies are 99% concerned with the next quarter or two (as that is what investors care about). Obviously this is a bad match for an energy market with minimal oversight/regulation. In the end this seems to be a perfect example of regulatory capture taken to the extreme, where the regulators were completely removed from the equation.

While it was a tragedy, I think the truly worrisome part was the response by state and local officials, who used the event as a political football to blame their favorite bogyman (renewables, and something about liberals). Several past officials indicated it was a worthwhile sacrifice to prevent federal reliability rules being imposed on the TX grid. As if good governance is a partisan issue in TX? I guess its probably the 100s of millions the natural gas industry gives to politicians... Most every other state, regardless of the political party in charge, treats public utilities as *public*. They are granted a partial monopoly in exchange for regulation which enforces the public good in a reasonable fashion.

I wish to be proven wrong. But I bet after 10 years have passed, few of the changes will be implemented, and it will happen again. Without a true regulatory oversite entity, profit wins.

I would need to review the details, but I believe the utilities won't be paying those damages. The operators may have sustained some equipment damage during the freeze event, but it probably isn't very large. The ones that stayed operating made more profit in 3 days than they would in 3 years. This is because the market has no pricing rules or caps, so they just followed the demand scale to its logical conclusion, with some folks getting rates 500x normal.

I am not familiar with TX liability law for utilities, but I would bet they have broad provisions protecting the utilities from lawsuits in these cases.

I would also bet money that the state legislature won't do jack S**T to enforce penalties on them either. As we all know, corporations always have our best interests in mind, and we need to give them room to let the almighty capitalism do its good work. /S

ERCOT actually passed the recommendations on to the generators. With an unregulated industry it has no actual authority to force winterization.

It's the private industries that elected to not incorporate them. No profit in it.
I wonder if any of these companies are insured for this?

Government and/or ERCOT declared, "The free market isn't working! Price shall be set to $9/kWh!"
That is what bankrupt companies and saddled consumers with $10,000 electric bills for one week.

Why weren't there rolling blackouts? Why were some neighborhoods turned off for several days straight? Whether in cold or hot weather, rolling blackouts would give all consumers power part of the day.

Government and/or ERCOT declared, "The free market isn't working! Price shall be set to $9/kWh!"
That is what bankrupt companies and saddled consumers with $10,000 electric bills for one week.

Why weren't there rolling blackouts? Why were some neighborhoods turned off for several days straight? Whether in cold or hot weather, rolling blackouts would give all consumers power part of the day.

Part of it is they elected not to roll blackouts to portions of the grid with hospitals. Residents on those portions of the grid enjoyed no significant interruptions.

Part of it is they elected not to roll blackouts to portions of the grid with hospitals. Residents on those portions of the grid enjoyed no significant interruptions.
I wonder if that was because the hospitals had natural gas generators.

I wonder if that was because the hospitals had natural gas generators.

That's a good question. Want to clarify that MANY hospitals were without power because they couldn't power those grids consistently, but they did not subject hospital or other "critical load circuit" containing portions of the grid to rolling blackouts.

Uneven impact by necessity, say energy providers

Within service areas, the blackouts aren't affecting all neighborhoods equally — a phenomenon that has drawn criticism from customers but one that energy providers say is tied to the need to keep power flowing at critical-need facilities such as hospitals, water plants and emergency services.

"The parts of our service area experiencing outages are based on the status of the circuit they're on," Austin Energy says. "Areas with power likely share a circuit with a critical load circuit" that includes a hospital or other essential facility.

In a normal emergency, Austin Energy says, "we rotate outages throughout our service area. Unfortunately, we are unable to rotate outages at this time because there are no other available non-critical load circuits to put into outage rotation."

Why pay for preventive measures when shortages will spike the bid price?
It worked in CA decades ago. Deliberate shortage of spares and preventive measures. Just waiting for a problem to happen.

Are there not laws forbidding price gouging during emergencies? Does it only apply to plywood, water, and food?

Are there not laws forbidding price gouging during emergencies? Does it only apply to plywood, water, and food?

Those don't apply to the government.
"Don't steal. The Government hates competition."

Back