diy solar

diy solar

That was fun...

george hirvela

So I retrofitted my old Lance camper, it was much more involved than those so-called simple wiring setups you see online. POVs, Charge Controller, Lithium batteries, inverter, converter, auto transfer switch, batt. monitor, and a lot of wires and fuses. I also added a soft starter on my AC unit and got a 2000w quiet propane gen. I did something I haven't seen done because my little Gen is marginally running the AC even though the soft starter kept it from tripping the Gen's breaker. I heard many places to run an auto transfer switch and I do, so it's typically either shore power or solar. I wanted to run both the Converter (charger) and the Solar to charge the battery. I put a plug/socket between the Transfer switch and the Converter (charger) so I could run both without the inverter/converter loop. I unplug the plug/socket to the Converter (charger) from the ATS and plug it into the Gen instead of using the shore power plug. I don't see a problem, maybe someone does? My 3000w inverter easily handles the AC 900w with the Solar and Generator keeping the batteries discharge to a minimum.

don't see a problem, maybe someone does
Just verify that your N-G bond scenarios get handled properly regardless of what’s providing the source of power.
so I could run both without the inverter/converter loop
I’m assuming when you say ‘inverter’ you do not mean an AIO of some sort? As per:
Charge Controller, Lithium batteries, inverter, converter, auto transfer switch
Personally I’ve grown to HATE rv onboard ‘converters’ for three big reasons. In my mind (and since solar and 3000W inverter does the heavy lifting) I’d ditch that converter and spend $432 on a 1012LV-MS

I’d use that to handle N-G bond and battery charging from generator options. It takes a bit to wrap your mind around the wiring but it’s not complicated. And it has only 1000W inverter. But as a battery charger and shorepower handler with your other stuff, plus backup solar, you can turn it off most of the time and just enable it when you need the genny.
That’s sorta what I’m doing with my ‘stationary’ 25’ camper currently (though I’ve not used any grid or generator power for weeks now- and probably won’t until The Dark Months return in November.

if you have a transfer switch... wire the converter + a small breaker for the converter to the shore power input of the transfer switch
It will only send power to the converter when shorepower connected

I plug my small generator 2000w into the shorepower using a adapter

Inverter is on the other contactor for the transfer switch
so no need to "remember" to turn of converter if on Inverter power

if you have a transfer switch... wire the converter + a small breaker for the converter to the shore power input of the transfer switch
It will only send power to the converter when shorepower connected

I plug my small generator 2000w into the shorepower using a adapter

Inverter is on the other contactor for the transfer switch
so no need to "remember" to turn of converter if on Inverter power
Yeah, that's how it's wired but I also wanted the option of powering the inverter and charging the batteries with both the solar and converter (charger). I put in a dissconnect between the converter and the transfer switch so I can do that, it requires an extra power cord but pretty simple. Running my AC pulls the batteries down pretty quick and the little 2000w gen works too hard by it's self through the shore power plug.

did you connect solar controller to battery or the main bus bars to battery ?
it will allow a charge no matter what the inverter and converter is doing.
if inverter load is higher than solar input ... you'll deplete the battery , but at a slower rate.

some inverters now include a inbuilt MPPT (I don't have one ) it should send power back to the battery automatically

you can have a on/off switch for the solar so you can do maintenance,
otherwise if is usually left ON and charging anytime the conditions are right
solar connection does not go through the transfer switch

transfer switch is used to allow only one 120v power source............. shore power or Inverter.
I plug my generator into the shore power socket so can only be one source at the power IN

Back