diy solar

diy solar

The best and worst BROOMS for wet and dry snow removal?

WYtreasure

It's not happy hour, I'm just like this.
There are a bunch of different ways to get snow off of panels but who wants to share which BROOM works and which broom fails.

Here in Wyoming we just got some dry, easy to blow snow. Next month the snow will be wet, heavy, sloppy stuff.

What have you used, the good and the bad?

This thread should be a ?sweeping success ?

The best one I have found, to date, is one that is used by another.

Just my personal experience ;).

Seriously though, I'm always hesitant to answer questions like these especially with the supply chain issues going on now. Everyone is switching suppliers to try to keep up with demand. By the time you buy it, you don't know if it's the same product or not these days. If this hasn't opened people eyes about why it is important to produce goods in your own country, they are thoroughly brainwashed and a waste of space at this point.

I have too many push brooms that vary in width from 18" to 24" and from very soft to very ridged bristles.
Today's snow is wet-n-sloppy, which is what we expect for a few days. I could DIY my own squeegee on a stick with stuff in the garage.

Anyone using the squeegee on a long stick?
For folks who've never been to a gas station and cleaned their own windshield, this may help. A squeegee or squilgee is a tool with a flat, smooth rubber blade, used to remove or control the flow of liquid on a flat or slightly curved surface.

I'm not a fan of buying new stuff. There are too many folks in a rush to buy something new off the ship, when there are plenty of brooms and other products somewhere in the garage just waiting to serve.

As @4thHorseman states, you don't know if it's the same product you bought. This is a DIY forum, so someone else pushing the broom doesn't count. :ROFLMAO:

Would a squeegee be a nono for some reason? I feel like a broom could be inclined to scratch the panels...

I use a 2' wide, stiff bristle push broom on a 12' painters extension handle. Works great on all snow from light powder to heavy slush. Haven't scratched any panels. The stiff bristles make it easier to dislodge anything the gets crusted on the panels.
The snow normally adheres to the dirt and cleans the panels by just the snow removal. Soft bristle brushes work in powder, but not with heavy wet snow. Been doing it for a decade without issue.
With heavy snow I push the top panels worth of snow up and over the back and use gravity to help pull down the rest. This also helps minimize the snow pile in front of the panels.

I use a 2' wide, stiff bristle push broom on a 12' painters extension handle. Works great on all snow from light powder to heavy slush. Haven't scratched any panels. The stiff bristles make it easier to dislodge anything the gets crusted on the panels.
The snow normally adheres to the dirt and cleans the panels by just the snow removal. Soft bristle brushes work in powder, but not with heavy wet snow. Been doing it for a decade without issue.
With heavy snow I push the top panels worth of snow up and over the back and use gravity to help pull down the rest. This also helps minimize the snow pile in front of the panels.
That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks Brightside (y)(y)

I have found that what works best for me in Maine is a regular pool extension pole with a pool brush. I also took a scraper bought from walmart and pushed it into the pole for scraping the panels.

I have found that what works best for me in Maine is a regular pool extension pole with a pool brush. I also took a scraper bought from walmart and pushed it into the pole for scraping the panels.
The "scraper" has me on the edge of my pool seat. What is a scraper?

The "scraper" has me on the edge of my pool seat. What is a scraper?
Just a car scraper to remove ice. It also helps that I already had the pole and brush that I use for the swimming pool.

Attachments

• 20220410_174523.jpg
    20220410_174523.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220410_174534.jpg
    20220410_174534.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220410_174426.jpg
    20220410_174426.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220410_174513.jpg
    20220410_174513.jpg