diy solar

diy solar

The challenges of using a generator on an all in one system

Bobert

Solar Enthusiast
I found the following video super helpful in understanding the input requirements of an all in one inverter and the potential pitfalls of generator use. 3.2 minutes into the video is where generator power is discussed.

Yeah, I've been finding this out with the MPP LV6548 as well. I instead decided I will wire in a selector for the generator, and have one circuit go to the MPP AC input, and the other will be for a couple standalone 48v DC chargers, and will most likely only use the generator for the standalone chargers, since I am off-grid and only want to run on inverter power 100% of the time.

But the selector will just be there in a bind if I have an issue with the standalone chargers, such that in an emergency, I could put the MPP inverters into standby and use those onboard chargers to charge if needed.

Yeah, I've been finding this out with the MPP LV6548 as well. I instead decided I will wire in a selector for the generator, and have one circuit go to the MPP AC input, and the other will be for a couple standalone 48v DC chargers, and will most likely only use the generator for the standalone chargers, since I am off-grid and only want to run on inverter power 100% of the time.

But the selector will just be there in a bind if I have an issue with the standalone chargers, such that in an emergency, I could put the MPP inverters into standby and use those onboard chargers to charge if needed.
That’s a great idea. I was able to work around this issue. I use a powmr all in one unit in my travel trailer. I set the utility charge rate at 15 amps or so if I am going to be using noticeable amounts of power while charging the battery. I also use an inverter generator which doesn’t have the sine wave collapse issue. I always have the option of setting the charge rate to max if I need to charge the batteries quickly as long as I only have a small load powered in addition to charging.

Back