diy solar

diy solar

The end of net metering

It is the one wire that allows you to transmit next door
Why would I even want to do that? I just want to generate, store an consume my own energy without having to subsidize the grid for those who still want to be grid dependent. Right now new laws are being proposed to force flat fees regardless of usage which makes it even worse for grid independent users and forces them to pay for product they don't want or need.

They gave up that right when they made a deal with the government to become a legal monopoly. This is where the law that you cannot disconnect from the grid comes from.
I think the law should allow only that utility to be the provider of electricity, but not mandate that you have to buy from them.

Let the utility decide a cost to be the backup power, and you decide if you want to pay it.

Gets a little trickier if they want the ability to have you be a virtual power plant. If you have enough battery to be off grid, you have a large enough battery to be if use. They would have to make it cheap enough for you to stay connected to the grid. Maybe that is the tradeoff.

Why would I even want to do that? I just want to generate, store an consume my own energy without having to subsidize the grid for those who still want to be grid dependent. Right now new laws are being proposed to force flat fees regardless of usage which makes it even worse for grid independent users and forces them to pay for product they don't want or need.
Sorry, quoted the wrong person.

I wonder if installing a lot of car chargers in business/commercial areas would help. A lot of EV's can be plugged in while people are working/shopping and programmed to charge when the grid is flush with all the solar production.

All they have to do is give a discounted charging rate. And then maybe a higher credit for rooftop PV, once they have a market for it?
PG&E ought to be happy to sit in the middle with their wires and get a cut. But I won't hold my breath.

Back