diy solar

diy solar

The good old days....

I found one of these in my garage and my nephiew had no idea what it was...

of course, he also had no idea what a car key was when I asked him to back out my truck...

His car has a digital fob and a start button...

Attachments

• 65377215-382C-49CE-8D53-314377B8D675.png
    65377215-382C-49CE-8D53-314377B8D675.png
    6 MB · Views: 1
I grew up when my house was on a party line. My house had a 3 ring, my neighbors had two or one ring... and if you picked up the phone to make a call, you sometimes would interrupt their conversation...

we had to get the phone from the phone company office...

we had the first touch tone phone in the town...

At least I’m not old enough to remember 6 or 5 digit phone numbers...

I do remember when dialing area codes wasn’t required to call within your state...

of course, he also had no idea what a car key was when I asked him to back out my truck...
Before my time, but before the key activated the ignition, there was a starter button.

starter-button-on-dash.jpg

My first car's starter was a two-stage pull. First, you'd put in the key and turn it to ON.
Then you'd pull the "starter switch" to the first stage which activated glow-plugs to heat the head, then pulling it out to the second stage engaged the starter. Once it caught you let go and it snapped back in (it was a diesel).

Before my time, but before the key activated the ignition, there was a starter button.

My first car's starter was a two-stage pull. First, you'd put in the key and turn it to ON.
Then you'd pull the "starter switch" to the first stage which activated glow-plugs to heat the head, then pulling it out to the second stage engaged the starter. Once it caught you let go and it snapped back in (it was a diesel).
Yup, the old 114 diesel 240 was fun with its salt shaker.

Yup, the old 114 diesel 240 was fun with its salt shaker.

OMG, how did I forget about the salt shaker?

For those not in the know, the device to the right was mounted in the
dash, inside was a matching resistor that glowed red when the plugs were hot.

Oh, the good old days....
1620160920645.png

Yes, but it still has a key... my 36 A had this, turn on the key, retard the timing lever, hit the starter button, and if the battery was dead, pull out the crank lever to manually start the car...
there is a good pic... lemme find a Ford crank lever...

Hell... my first car grandpa gave me was a 65VW beetle, and I was lucky enough to have heater control handles under the drivers seat... prior models ya had to open the engine cover and adjust the heater handles on the muffler...

nice pair of starter engines you got there, may i buy a ticket to the show later? ?

(haha, i also was making a joke about the arm strength needed and how manually cranking to start an engine sounds like *eek* effort) ?

i didn’t know about the glowing resistor thing until today!

anyone remember this classic?

1620162292065.jpeg

Back