diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

Probably best to head over to their website and review the list of compatible devices. https://solar-assistant.io/
As for the dumb BMS on DIY batteries, solar assistant can read your SOC from a Victron shunt directly using a VE bus to USB cable.
Yes, thanks.

I did read the site, but it’s focused on “compatible” devices with no mention of parsing direct data not sorted by an AIO.
I have a 1012LV-MK and might not be asking the question if it were, say, 2212LV because the 1000W inverter is the only thing that ‘hurts’ me.

But carry on. No further discussion needed unless someone knows of a thread covering this in such a way that I don’t have to relearn a programming language.

I dont think I've seen anyone try it like your hoping for. Atleast not with solar assistant directly. Maybe reach out to their support? They are very helpful and responsive

I bought mine strait from solar assistance for 180+45 shipping

yes a 7 inch touch screen from ally express ... you can scroll and change tabs. restart... just can't type or use pull down menu (I think) brand new. but I use my phone for settings

Screenshot_20221206_190103.jpg

I bought mine strait from solar assistance for 180+45 shipping

yes a 7 inch touch screen from ally express ... you can scroll and change tabs. restart... just can't type or use pull down menu (I think) brand new. but I use my phone for settings

View attachment 123446
here is a bad picture I took up see if it works.. also need to figute out a case .. it had 2 thumb screws on the back for mountings 20221202_131707.jpg

I dont think I've seen anyone try it like your hoping for. Atleast not with solar assistant directly. Maybe reach out to their support? They are very helpful and responsive
I should. I’m guessing more people have robust small to medium solar power setups with disparate components than AIOs and would like this possibility. Then again, the AIO market and/or homologated proprietary suppliers like Victron are probably on their way to surpassing components in the developing market so it’s a short-term market.

here is a bad picture I took up see if it works.. also need to figute out a case .. it had 2 thumb screws on the back for mountings View attachment 123447
Is that running directly off the HDMI from the Pi? Or is that over the internet like you usually access it?

I should. I’m guessing more people have robust small to medium solar power setups with disparate components than AIOs and would like this possibility. Then again, the AIO market and/or homologated proprietary suppliers like Victron are probably on their way to surpassing components in the developing market so it’s a short-term market.
I agree, Solar-Assistant jumped into the game very early and everybody was searching for exactly that. I foresee in the very near future there will be a lot of competition that will be trying to take Solar-Assistants mantle.

Is that running directly off the HDMI from the Pi? Or is that over the internet like you usually access it?

2 wires directly to the Pi.... just a screen
Hdmi and USB (for touchscreen and power) the pi USB seems to power it fine

I thought about elevating my panels above my AC unit as well, but 2 things popped into my mind.

1) I'm already at the legal limit of 13'6" tall (go figure the trailer is big in every direction) at the tip top of the AC unit. Almost like they planned it to be exactly that height.

2) I didn't want to create a huge parachute, and cause all these panels to rip off, or at the very least create a huge aerodynamic drag. My 18' F350 already gets 7.5-8mpg towing this thing lol.

Not to mention it looks absolutely terrible from the ground and heaven forbid you have to work on your ac or a vent.. but it's just plain fugly, see example in video below.... what you need is what's in the 2nd video below... now that's coolio.

I'm curious if there is anything else I can do, like press in a stud to get equal amount of torque applied. The studs that are on it are VERY solid, and I'm extremely happy with them. I haven't had a single fear in tightening one down.
Long ago fixed I'm sure but great video none the less.

I missed seeing all your updates about it! I look forward to your next thread :)
Looking at getting a motorhome next, but not for a while. I will have to get an enclosed trailer to tow behind it with my RZR though. The plan is to install/mount all my solar equipment on the Enclosed trailer instead though, and just plug the Motorhome 50a shore power into the enclosed. Keep the motorhome wiring 100% factory, and it just thinks its plugged into shore power. Easy peasy.

But its going to be a while.

I really like those slide out builds. Basically double the solar panel area; one array below the other, that's on slides, and requires more than one SCC. Can even be geared/linked together so it can extend out either side from below the main array that's always charging. Provides some shaded area on the sides too!

even be geared/linked together so it can extend out either side from below the main array that's always charging. Provides some shaded area on the sides too!
If I ever do ‘this’ I’m not doing sliders. For four or five years I’ve been watching these kinds of builds.

While some slideout panel getups are actually pretty cool I have concluded that top-hinged panel mounts that fold down on the sides is way more cost effective and affords a measure of simplicity and ease of installation. Unless mounted above the panels, that precludes an awning, however.

If I ever do ‘this’ I’m not doing sliders. For four or five years I’ve been watching these kinds of builds.

While some slideout panel getups are actually pretty cool I have concluded that top-hinged panel mounts that fold down on the sides is way more cost effective and affords a measure of simplicity and ease of installation. Unless mounted above the panels, that precludes an awning, however.
I like the idea of a hinge being across the top edge of the trailer, with the panels hanging down the side of the trailer. Maybe using a latch to keep them down, but when you release the latch, a hydraulic strut pushes the panel out to face the sky.

Very interesting... Now you have some gears turning in my head...

I also like that side hinged setup as well, especially when used with a rear opening enclosed trailer and seems to be the most practical especially In conjunction with 3 x scc and the ability to set angles more simply, so this makes sense.
Of course enclosed trailers with side entrance doors make this less ideal if you want a full length panel setup.

Back